Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2021, 06:34 AM

Default Price help needed !!!

A small local gun shop owner, whom I have known for nearly 40 years has a very nice M1903 Mark 1 rifle that he has had for years, and is willing to sell it.
The rifle appears nearly unfired and the bore is a bright mirror, original barrel dated 3-19.
The rifle still has all of the Mark 1 parts !!!
The only negative is the stock is a WW2 Remington, straight grip, with stamped butt plate and middle band retaining spring.
Nice Mark 1 stocks are out there, so I'm not too worried about finding one.
The dealer was messing with me when he quoted a price of $1k. I said I'd take it for that... Then he quoted his price of north of $2k.
What would be a fair price for a rifle like this? You just don't see very many Mark 1 rifles with the original Mark 1 parts...

He also has a matching dated bayonet with the original canvas scabbard.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:25 AM

Your best way of dealing with him is to look at what similar rifles have sold for here and on Gunbroker.

Armed with that information (like a home market report) you can make a reasonable offer to him.

All the best.

John
Old 02-20-2021, 08:49 AM

I would say about 1k.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 AM

I have not seen one on GB with correct parts for some time. The ones listed are upwards of 1K. Yours sounds really nice.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:51 PM

I saw one locally for a little over $1000 with the proper stock, original barrel and Mark 1 parts. Condition of the bore and original finish was not great, however condition was consistent throughout with no rust or pitting. It had not sold for a month.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:55 PM

I understand the desire to not overpay, but how often does a rifle like this come along? How much would the correct stock cost?

If seller has had it for years, hopefully he is motivated. I never understand why sellers want to keep stuff for so long, but that's just me.

Bottom line - if the price is acceptable to you and you have the finances to pay it, go for it!

Let us know how it works out and good luck with your negotiations.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:03 PM

I have a corrected one (stock, barrel and trigger housing original I added correct bolt, Mag cutoff and sear. I wouldn’t sell for less than $1200 and mine isn’t 100% original just corrected.

I’d say if it’s 100% original it should have a premium above my $1200.

But stock is a tough part to acquire and obviously it’s not 100% original so the $1K sounds fair.

But only ever worth what someone will pay. What I’m willing to sell for and what you are willing to pay don’t have to cross.

My feedback thread
Old 02-20-2021, 06:21 PM

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=276183
https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=277245

There are two Mark I for sale now on the Boards to show your friend what they reasonably go for.

All the best.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:09 PM

Personally I think with a replacement stock thr 1000 offer is more than fair. I wouldn't personally even value it that much. All the Mark 1's I've ever had to sell I've had a hard time selling them. I think he was silly not to accept your 1000 offer
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 PM

If you have a bore scope look at that barrel. I have seen many that look really bright until you actually look at them, then you see the results of 100 years of usage