Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleanbore 1 View Post
Any idea when 76C76xx would have been made. No date, what looks like a 3 or a poorly struck B underneath the serial#. Matching bolt. All S marked parts, no import marks.
Savage stopped making them in 1944 and stopped dating them sometime in 1943, so yours is made in later 1943 or 1944.

Mine has a small US ordinance stamp below the serial number so that's probably what the 3 or B is.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Thanks Farmer Ted for the additional info on serials.
OP's rifle certainly has more markings than I'm aware of from the LB rebuild.
Not my area of study at all. So in addition to the Gunboards link suggested above, the milsurps.com forum https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111 or most likely here https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111 has experts and authors as well to explain this nice rifle.
Looking forward to our education!
Hello sir thank you for the recommendation for some more knowledgeable area experts, you said LB rebuild what I that?
Old 02-26-2021, 04:39 PM

Sorry, Long Branch was the Canadian rebuild facility you alluded to in the first post

Edit; I posted the wrong link in the above post as well. https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
is correct.

Last edited by pickax; 02-26-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Long Branch was the Canadian rebuild facility you alluded to in the first post

Edit; I posted the wrong link in the above post as well. https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
is correct.
Understood itís in LB wood but the nose cap says CE 1967 so I think itís actually a South African contracted rifle, now. It seems inline with some description I have seen online too mostly no markings. I saw a Canadian stock and thought it was a LB at first. Either way this rifle has traveled more than I have
Old 02-26-2021, 05:59 PM

The M/47 stamp on the trigger guard is BSA, so it has some British parts on it
Old 02-27-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1garandRdandy View Post
I have been wanting a mark4 for awhile and of course wanted a US marked savage. I recently acquired one with a great 2 groove bore and bayonet. I believe it is a post war Canadian Refurb that still has som cosmoline I have to clean out. I love the story of these rifles being made in the US for England and ending back up in North America. The receiver is a 1942 marked Savage but not 100% sure if the serial number is original or a re Arsenal http://imgur.com/a/UCJLA41
Is there a US Property stamp on the receiver?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Is there a US Property stamp on the receiver?
It is US stamped and looks like a two groove barrel
Old 03-27-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Welcome. and glad you are posting a nice Savage .303 Mk4.
I have one and love the design with American made quality.
Your pics, although good are a jumble to me.
Savage marked most major parts with an S and you should show any LB markings clearly in some sort of order.
Iíve never quite understood the fascination with Savage Lee Enfieldís beyond being made in America. Personally Iíve always found that huge US marking ugly and distracting. But nothing about them makes them inherently any better than any other Lee Enfield, except for it being made in manufacturing plant that wasnít being bomber every other day. And in that case Iíve found generally speaking the Longbranch rifles to be slightly better in fit and finish. Iíd argue they were generally more accurate too, but thatís rather arbitrary after the thrashing many went thru during the war.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
Iíve never quite understood the fascination with Savage Lee Enfieldís beyond being made in America. Personally Iíve always found that huge US marking ugly and distracting. But nothing about them makes them inherently any better than any other Lee Enfield, except for it being made in manufacturing plant that wasnít being bomber every other day. And in that case Iíve found generally speaking the Longbranch rifles to be slightly better in fit and finish. Iíd argue they were generally more accurate too, but thatís rather arbitrary after the thrashing many went thru during the war.
I could see how other manufacturers were making better rifles, I honestly wanted an enfield and bid on a dozen or so and happened to win this one. I honestly still want a WW1 example, this rifle has an immaculate 2 groove barrel though and I am quite happy with that
Old 03-27-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
Iíve never quite understood the fascination with Savage Lee Enfieldís beyond being made in America. Personally Iíve always found that huge US marking ugly and distracting.
Fascination for me, other than being made in America, is they are about the only WWII era Enfield rifle you can find in new condition. Some were sent to South Africa and basically never used.