Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2021, 03:48 PM

Default M1917 lower band pin

Hi,

It seems like the lower band pin on an M1917 rifle is now unobtanium. Would someone be kind enough to measure the thickness/diameter and the length of theirs for me? I can have my machinist buddy make one or find a similar pin online.

Thank you,

Dave
Old 02-25-2021, 04:46 PM

Sent you a PM
Old 02-26-2021, 08:10 AM

Curious, what is the lower band pin? I have two 1917s and don't recognize that part name. Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 08:18 AM

The pin that goes thru the stock and holds the rear band in place to keep it from slipping forward.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:04 PM

Gotcha - thanks. OP you could probably just use a finishing nail and grind off the head and point.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA-1982 View Post
Gotcha - thanks. OP you could probably just use a finishing nail and grind off the head and point.
While I agree this is a quick solution. It has one drawback: the steel the nail is made out of is not of sufficient hardness to last. A couple removal/insertions, possibly some recoil related bumps and the nail is bent and distorted and the ends you see are peened over.

Dowel pins are made of Alloy Steel and are generally in the 47-58 HRC range, so they tend to hold up to a good bit more pounding, including heavy handed GI's like I used to be.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:15 PM

Haha - I'll defer to your expertise on the metallurgy. But, on both my 1917s, there's enough flex in the lower band when the sling swivel is removed to fit over the pin. It doesn't seem like the pin would be subject to sufficient stress to break it in normal operation. However, in my experience, infantrymen can break just about anything
Old 02-26-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA-1982 View Post
Haha - I'll defer to your expertise on the metallurgy. But, on both my 1917s, there's enough flex in the lower band when the sling swivel is removed to fit over the pin. It doesn't seem like the pin would be subject to sufficient stress to break it in normal operation. However, in my experience, infantrymen can break just about anything
Yup, so can the helicopter repairmen. You can't believe the crap they used to screw up. Once upon a time: Me: "Remove the explosive before you test the ejection racks. You'll need them out to measure the ignition voltage anyway. Understand?" Young Troop: "Yes Sergeant." 5 minutes later, just as I was coming back from the toilet: "Boom - violently shaking helicopter, parts of ejection rack hitting hangar floor....Oh sh#$." Clean up on aisle 3.....but the ejection racks worked perfectly. BTW, the test was supposed to be done on the rebuilt ejection racks BEFORE you installed the explosive.....nicknamed that kid "Big Sky."
Old 02-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInGA View Post
It has one drawback: the steel the nail is made out of is not of sufficient hardness to last. A couple removal/insertions, possibly some recoil related bumps and the nail is bent and distorted and the ends you see are peened over.
I's a pin, through wood keeping the swivel from sliding against gravity. Normal stress from the sling is not on this pin.
If it was subject to stress it would not be pinned through the wood, it would be secured to metal like the front band/screw.
Use a brass rod or finishing nail. It should outlast you unless you misuse it or remove it more times than I can imagine. But, when making the replacement from brass or a nail, just make 3.
The major wear issue here is the hole in the wood enlarging, not the pin itself.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInGA View Post
Yup, so can the helicopter repairmen. You can't believe the crap they used to screw up. Once upon a time: Me: "Remove the explosive before you test the ejection racks. You'll need them out to measure the ignition voltage anyway. Understand?" Young Troop: "Yes Sergeant." 5 minutes later, just as I was coming back from the toilet: "Boom - violently shaking helicopter, parts of ejection rack hitting hangar floor....Oh sh#$." Clean up on aisle 3.....but the ejection racks worked perfectly. BTW, the test was supposed to be done on the rebuilt ejection racks BEFORE you installed the explosive.....nicknamed that kid "Big Sky."