Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM

Default 1903 refurb questions...?

Recently picked up a Remington Model 1903 that needed some pretty good work.
Courtesy of some folks here I fixed the safety issue but other things need to be done. The problems arenít beyond my ability (currently) but a couple of questions popped up.
1) Needed to get a new stock. Ordered a new build non-C stock that, by the pic, looks to be unfinished. Without starting the Linseed (boiled vs raw) or Tung debate what exactly does this oil do to the wood? I get it provides minor water proofing but does the oil actually strengthen raw wood? I would think so slightly but Iím not sure. And it possible to over-use these wood oils (assuming properly applied) to the detriment of the wood?
2) As I work on the metal and parts I see all kinds of markings, numbers, letters, and stamps on the metal. Some are obvious in what they mean others not so much. Is there a webpage that covers what all these marks mean on a Ď03?
Old 03-02-2021, 06:52 AM

I am relatively new to these rifles and identifying parts manufacturers / markings as well, this page has been a huge help: http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
Old 03-02-2021, 07:00 AM

The oil, whether linseed or tung, has no effect on the strength of the wood. The oil is applied to protect the wood from damage from water and other weather elements.

For markings, find a copy of Bruce Canfield's A Collector's Guide to the 1903 Springfield.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post

2) As I work on the metal and parts I see all kinds of markings, numbers, letters, and stamps on the metal. Some are obvious in what they mean others not so much. Is there a webpage that covers what all these marks mean on a Ď03?
If you can take some detailed pictures, several folks on this forum can heklp you out on markings.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
If you can take some detailed pictures, several folks on this forum can heklp you out on markings.
Well thank you.
Iíll crank some up and see how they turn out.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:57 PM

Answers are as follows:

(1) To my knowledge, oil only provides water resistance. And wood can become over-saturated with oil which will somewhat weaken it. But that's a lot of oil. The normal procedure for oiling a stock is to apply a generous coating of oil, wait an hour or so, then wipe of the excess. Wait at least 24 hours, then repeat until you obtain the desired degree of oil. And I will mention that raw linseed oil will turn jet black with prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light, i.e., sunlight or compact fluorescent lights.

(2) The marks you mention are commonly referred to as subinspection marks. The marks were applied by machinists to certify that certain dimensions measured true to form and gauge.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:02 PM

Thanks JB.
And you were right on the money with the parts needed to repair the safety - using A3 parts as the difference between A3 and 03 was clear.
Just the safety lock and cocking piece took care of it. The old bolt shroud worked fine which was good as I couldnít find a new one to order at the time.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:26 PM

A lot of guys donít like, this, but I use tru oil you can dull the finish by using scotch
Brite, Itís not original by any means, but in this ?Texas heat it will not get sticky like boiled linseed oil or ting oil. In basic,the ?Army used linseed oil, Fort Ord. After you coat what ever you use sand between coats, not to offend. I will have to admit Iíve never started with an unfinished bare walnut stock.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 PM

Let you know sir. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
Courtesy of some folks here I fixed the safety issue but other things need to be done. The problems arenít beyond my ability (currently) but a couple of questions popped up.
1) Needed to get a new stock. Ordered a new build non-C stock that, by the pic, looks to be unfinished. Without starting the Linseed (boiled vs raw) or Tung debate what exactly does this oil do to the wood? I get it provides minor water proofing but does the oil actually strengthen raw wood? I would think so slightly but Iím not sure. And it possible to over-use these wood oils (assuming properly applied) to the detriment of the wood?
you didn't happen to order the sarco straight repro stock did you?