Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 AM

I think folks are missing an obvious point, the RNG to be assigned doesn't even need to know you have an address.

If it was me, I'd mark EACH envelope with an RGN, then put them in the order or groupings of order then open and send an email. Why open each one, and assign an RGN when that step is several down the road.

Everyone has an opinion and the only one that matters is the person who is sitting looking at the packets and likely has proper procedures to follow....
Old 03-04-2021, 11:22 AM

I think Weimar is correct - the envelopes don't need to be opened to assign an RGN. As envelopes arrive they can simply be assigned an index number and marked. Index numbers are entered into the Random Number Generator and the RGN is assigned. Each envelope can then be re-marked with its RGN and envelopes are opened and RGN notifications emailed in that sequence.

For those that have wondered (and posted) why random numbers can't be assigned as applications are received, you need to have the total number of applications first in order to know the range and upper limit of the RGNs. Theoretically you could assign RGNs on a rolling basis, say with an upper limit of one million. But you still couldn't sequence them until all of the RGNs were assigned. Even then, it would be the sequence number that would dictate when a packet was opened, rather than the RGN itself. Not to be Captain Obvious here, but only by waiting until all packets are received (whatever the cutoff is) does the RGN also function as the sequence number.

As to what actual procedure they follow? Known but to God and cmp1911admin Fun to speculate though, and helps pass the time for those of us with little patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I think folks are missing an obvious point, the RNG to be assigned doesn't even need to know you have an address.

If it was me, I'd mark EACH envelope with an RGN, then put them in the order or groupings of order then open and send an email. Why open each one, and assign an RGN when that step is several down the road.

Everyone has an opinion and the only one that matters is the person who is sitting looking at the packets and likely has proper procedures to follow....

Last edited by USMA-1982; 03-04-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:26 AM

I have seen more advertisement for round 2 than I remember seeing for round 1. I also think that lots of folks thought that round 1 was never going to happen so they may have passed on the opportunity (like me). Now that they are actually shipping and some really nice examples have shown up, I believe that round 2 will see more requests than round 1. We will know more when those RGN's start appearing in the thread. Good luck to everyone!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA-1982 View Post
I think Weimar is correct - the envelopes don't need to be opened to assign an RGN. As envelopes arrive they can simply be assigned an index number and marked. Index numbers are entered into the Random Number Generator and the RGN is assigned. Each envelope can then be re-marked with its RGN and envelopes are opened and RGN notifications emailed in that sequence.
That I believe is how the first round was done.....good explanation of the process USMA-1982 too! No telling if they will repeat that process again.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post

If I recall, CMP1911 mentioned they would be sending RNGs out. That requires them to open the envelopes.

Do they do some basic screening (using the CMP provided checklist and a red sharpie, check to ensure each of the required documents is present and complete) before placing in the "will get an RNG" pile? Or do they place an RNG on each envelope and then open it?
Who knows, who cares? Both will work just as well (depending on your point of reference), and neither will have an impact on the purchaser (lottery participant).
Either way, it's CMP 1911's operation, we can't change it. Fortunately we are all adults and know we can't provide business consultation services based on factoids, opinions, misinformation and emotion on a gun forum.

If you sent in your packet (assuming you read and followed the CMP directions, not those from the "guy at the gun store who knows all about it") you should expect to receive an RNG in a month or three. You should expect to get a call about your packet at some point after that.
What else matters?

It is a "lottery" in more ways than one.
Look at round 1; 18,000+ applications received, what error rate (due to shipping, due to CMP, due to whatever) was observed? How does that compare to any other customer service focused business?

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 03-04-2021, 02:33 PM

I believe in round one they first opened the envelopes to confirm they were complete submissions and then put into the 'stack' to be assigned an RNG. Submissions that were incomplete or otherwise invalid were not put into the 'stack' to receive an RNG. By 'stack' I mean they were entered into their system and after all envelopes were processed and entered into the system, the computer assigned the RNG.

People who didn't submit valid packages are free to focus on a CMP auction or search elsewhere.

Why would they first
Old 03-04-2021, 03:20 PM

Default packets

Wrong, wrong and again wrong.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:22 PM

The mailing deadline for Round 1 was 4 October 2018.

The email notifying me of my RGN was dated 2 November 2018.

My RGN was: 1156
Old 03-04-2021, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Wrong, wrong and again wrong.
So is this still the process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
We do not need to open the packets before hand. Each packet is being numbered and that number will be entered into the generator and then given a lottery number. Once that is done we will start processing packets. If a packet is not accepted then that lottery number is void and we will move on to the next number. That is why we asked 1 packet per, if there are 2-3 packets in 1 envelope then they all go to file 13 as we will not pick who gets the number and who doesn't.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
So is this still the process?
Good lord, does it matter?

Send a properly completed packet with proper addressing and postage and you will get a lottery number.
Then you will get a call.
Nothing you can do to change that. Nothing you need to know beyond that.
However CMP 1911 manages everything behind the scenes really doesn't matter. We have a few years history showing the eventual results.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Closed Thread