Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Default adapt current Savage MK2 magazine to Stevens 416s

Need a magazine for your Stevens 416? Or for any vintage Stevens/Savage .22 bolt action? With the exception of the very early magazines (which feature a knurled knob on the base) the current Savage MK2 magazines can easily be modified to those fine, old rifles.

Left to right- Vintage Savage/Stevens magazine -- current Savage MK2 magazine -- Modified MK2 magazine. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Step1- Top photo, left magazine. Vintage Stevens. The flange protrudes .058" from the body of the magazine.
Top photo center. Current Savage. Flange protrudes .146" from the body of the magazine. Top photo right. Modified Savage. Flange reduced to .058". I used a 12" Bastard file and worked slow and careful. It's soft steel and doesn't take long. Just remember, you can put the steel back once it's off.

Step2- Middle photo, left photo, the current magazine shows a raised rib. This must be ground down as shown in the right hand photo of the modified magazine.

Step3- Bottom photo center magazine. Current Savage. You must cut a knotch at the base of the flange, "v" shaped about .06" deep. You could do this first and I'd cut it a hair or 2 lower than the flange leaving a bit of metal for final fitting.

Step4- Notice that the follower of the Vintage magazine is flat but the Current is not. The steep angle of the plastic follower will present the tip of the bullet to the chamber too high and cause feeding problems. Grind the plastic follower to a flatter profile, a bit at a time until feeding is smooth.

That's it. Savage MK2 Magazines are one of the more reasonable magazines price wise and sure cheaper than vintage magazines.

PS- Here's the old style Savage magazine. If you're looking for these, well, questing is good for the soul.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 01-08-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: new info
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Can you repost these pictures? The links don't work ?

Thanks

Exciterfan
Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 AM

I'm trying to identify my Dad's old 22 Semi auto. Ranger 22 Short, Long & LR Semi Auto with Clip Magazine

Can any one help? I have some photos but not sure how to attach them to this post.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 PM

President G. Thank you!!! Great pictures and instructions. I ran into the same thing as many others have. The ebay mags are just a bit too short. I just finished modifying a Mk II and it seems to feed well. I should have come to CMP forums instead of trying hit or miss on eBay 3 times. (and missing all three). I can't wait to get out and shoot my newly acquired vintage 416 Target.