Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Thinking of 03A4 project

First off, I shoot and don't collect, so correctness isn't an issue. I'm thinking of doing an 03A4gery for vintage sniper matches with my dad. Assuming, (maybe wrongly), a sporter would make a decent donor rifle, what else would I need to complete the project, besides the obvious like new wood and barrel? And, is it worth it considering the availability of the Creedmore pieces, keeping in mind that I place some value in just doing a project with my 80 year old father?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM

What you have, kinda depends on what you "need". But I would certainly recommend a project with your father versus one already built out of a drill rifle.

Mike
Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 PM

good project for the two of you. you can build it for much less than buying one off the shelf. you would need a scope mt (cheap), rings (not so cheap), maybe not a barrel if the sporter one shoots well (chk first, as some are remarkably accurate), used scant stock & handguard, bent bolt (available at gun shows everywhere), older weaver k2.5 w/crosshairs, and a good trigger job to take out the weight & creep. most that I have built out of drill rifles will stay under 1 1/2" at 100 w/handloads and some under 1". good luck
Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM

You might be into it for a bit more than you could by purchasing a Creedmoor or Gibbs. But, doing it with your father is priceless. My father passed away a few years ago so I say get in their with your dad while you still can and get going!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 PM

That's the plan!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:30 PM

Also do not lose sight of the value of working with your Dad learning to spot and shoot as a team and , if you hand load, working up the optimal ammunition. The actual gun smithing on scoping an 03-A3 is minimal
Old 11-01-2015, 02:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
What you have, kinda depends on what you "need". But I would certainly recommend a project with your father versus one already built out of a drill rifle.

Mike
Second that one also...Just finished ours with my father. Guess what we ended up with? A regulation compliant 1903a4 made from a drill rifle receiver we accomplished together for just about the same amount of money a Creedmore is. Doing it with my Pop... Priceless !!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 AM

While the time spent working on the rifle with your father is special, I personally think I would forgo the build process with him and would want to concentrate on getting him out to the range. Build time is minimal on a project like this but time at the range with your father is priceless. It's not like you are restoring a car and have a complicated process to go thru, it's simple stuff if you have the required tools etc. I would get the Creedmore
03A4 and get to the range. Time wasted on a build is time you can't get back with Dad at the range.

Rick H.