Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2018, 05:58 AM

Default Phillipine and Turkish Garands

Heading to Ft Benning next week from the Quantico VA area for the 3 AD reunion and monument dedication. Haven't been to the South store since the Greek AF rifle heydays when it was in the old big store but can route my drive through Anniston. For military history reasons would like to get a Philippines return Garand and for military service reasons a Turkish return. I would be there early on Thursday morning when it opens. Anyone have feedback on the potential to find either next Thursday?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-26-2018, 07:27 AM

Default South Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
Heading to Ft Benning next week from the Quantico VA area for the 3 AD reunion and monument dedication. Haven't been to the South store since the Greek AF rifle heydays when it was in the old big store but can route my drive through Anniston. For military history reasons would like to get a Philippines return Garand and for military service reasons a Turkish return. I would be there early on Thursday morning when it opens. Anyone have feedback on the potential to find either next Thursday?

Thanks,
Mark
I think your odds are good for both. Both have been present in the store for over a month. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Mark
Not sure if it's applicable now but it's previously been reported that the Philippine returns will have a Y on the back of the hang tag.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:40 AM

How would you tell a Phillipine from a Turkish from any other? Do they have identifying characteristics like the black finish on some of the Greek returns?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:52 AM

I'm hoping that after I explain what I'm trying to do they will let me know if there is a way they unofficially track the return source.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Visit

Quote:
I'm hoping that after I explain what I'm trying to do they will let me know if there is a way they unofficially track the return source.
I will be at the store at opening and if I can be of help, I offer my assistance. Sorry to disappoint but the store staff rotates every week, all are armors and donít think their really knowledgeable on transfer sources but are knowledgeable about what rifles their servicing of course. You can tell the difference in rifles but need to be in store looking at rifles first hand. Even doing that there is no absolute way to know for sure 100%.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:30 PM

What time is opening now? I used to be there once a week during the Greek AF and woodless Dane time period but it was in the "big' store just off the interstate about 8 years ago.

Mark
Old 10-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Opening

Quote:
What time is opening now? I used to be there once a week during the Greek AF and woodless Dane time period but it was in the "big' store just off the interstate about 8 years ago.

Mark
They open at 8:00 and close at 3:00 CT.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:10 PM

Correction it will be 15 Nov, not next Thursday. Guess was just getting excited...

Mark
Old 10-26-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownac1983 View Post
How would you tell a Phillipine from a Turkish from any other? Do they have identifying characteristics like the black finish on some of the Greek returns?
A good number of the Turk rifles had dope tags inside the trigger group. Got a few of those myself. If you find a rifle with a dope tag inside the TG and it appears to be in a Turkic language it's a good bet that the rifle is a Turk return but then again CMP could have switched the TG so who knows for sure. The Turk rifles I got were FGs and the internals were very dirty and dry. Might be another sign to look for. One of mine is most likely a Turk Air Force return but like the others it was dirty and dry.

Last edited by Ronwall; 10-26-2018 at 04:39 PM.