Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 AM

Default Vintage sniper scope Magnificat

Iím interested in the vintage sniper matches. Is a 4x scope (M41 Swedish Mauser) at a large disadvantage compared to 8x that the 1903a1 is allowed at 600 yards? I shoot iron sights for service rifle AR15 at 600 and can still hit 10s if I do well, but was wondering if there are other factors that I need to consider. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Good question. IMO, while more magnification is a plus, there are other factors equally important Additionally, the difference between 4x vs 8x is not as significant as 2.2x vs 4x. The optical quality of the scope is a big factor independent of it's magnification. The quality of the adjustment mechanism is another important factor particularly if the scope is used at both distances in the match. Scopes with internal adjustments are somewhat more problematic than the high quality (older) external adjustment scopes. Several years ago, my partner had the hi individual score at CP shooting a beat up Finnish MN with a 3x repro Chinese scope that he carefully reworked. I had to use my 8x to tell him where the shot marker was at 600 yds.... Good Shooting ..
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM

At 300 yds, I feel that there is no significant advantage to 8X. At 600 yds, there certainly is. Especially if one needs to apply "favors" due to wind variability. There isn't time to dial in windage corrections so one must "favor" one direction or the other. Greater magnification makes applying these offsets much more precise. Still as Ceresco stated, there are lots of other factors that play even more significant roles in shooting well. A crappy 8X scope is not as good as a good 4X scope or even a good 2.2X scope for that matter. Also, magnification doesn't help if your spotter can't call the wind for you.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Service rifle scores have gone through the roof with 4.5x scopes.

I imagine you won't be at any significant disadvantage with a 4x scope. You'll probably be able to see scoring rings at both yard lines. You'll probably be able to see mirage with your rifle scope. You'll be in good shape.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk