Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
Here are a couple of "before" shots of the 03A3 I brought home:

It looks to be all original and correct after a quick examination. I'm looking forward to restoring the stock - it seems as though the varnish did a good job of protecting it over the years.
Judging from the pics, I would leave it alone. But then again I'm not too skilled at stock restoration. I would probably trash it.

Nice rifle
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1jinx View Post
Judging from the pics, I would leave it alone. But then again I'm not too skilled at stock restoration. I would probably trash it.
Well, the varnish is already off, just took me about a half hour with some gentle stripper. The wood is quite handsome underneath, and it'll be a beauty when it is reoiled. I'll post up some "after" pics in a week or two, when I'm finished.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM

At close there were quite a few Rack Grade M1s, only 5 Remington A3s and the 3 HRA Correct Grades still remain....and a boat load of snipers and A3 Drill Rifles.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Wow, a $400 jump in just a couple years! And I keep hearing there's no inflation. I understand why the sales page now says all corrects will be going to auction only.
Probably ran out of parts to correct them.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 PM

These rifles look like they came that way from the Greek Airforce,just light use and storage wear. The last of the Collecter grades for the store. Only a few when I checked out 2 left. And only 2- LMR out of the 7-8 on rack when I picked my LMR out and when I set the other LMR down a guy grabbed it! That fast gone!! Thanks Orest for X-mas in July.

Last edited by bandofM1; 07-22-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Nvrmnd
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
Here are a couple of "before" shots of the 03A3 I brought home:

It looks to be all original and correct after a quick examination. I'm looking forward to restoring the stock - it seems as though the varnish did a good job of protecting it over the years.
I can't tell from the picture, but the "varnish" could just be dried tung oil. That stock should look great if you remove the varnish if it really is, and then hit the stock with boiling water to raise dents and clean the wood. Then lightly sand if the grain was raised by the water and give it some BLO.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken792 View Post
I can't tell from the picture, but the "varnish" could just be dried tung oil. That stock should look great if you remove the varnish if it really is, and then hit the stock with boiling water to raise dents and clean the wood. Then lightly sand if the grain was raised by the water and give it some BLO.
It was definitely varnish, and applied in prodigious quantities. It's gone now.

I typically leave the dents alone, and this stock has very few, anyway. A new oil finish, and it'll be ready to go.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Anybody have a crystal ball handy? I can't get to the NS before Friday due to work commitments but I'd sure like to grab one of those 03A3's. Think there will be anything left end of the week?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 AM

I think there could be some every day. I was in yesterday at lunch time. I saw 8or so 03's. I made my choice and called my brother and alerted him the "Christmas in July" situation. When he got there about 2:30pm or so he said there were 30 or so people looking over 20 or so 03's. I'm not sure, I think they spread these out to over the course of the matches. It would make sense.

Good luck.