Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
Great idea Bruce. I have spent a large part of my career in sales and marketing. Seems like CMP could be a little more aggressive in "selling" that big, beautiful, multi-million dollar Talladega facility!
^^^^^ This post nails it!

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM

I've already legged out so it doesn't affect me but there are a LOT of shooters interested in an EIC match at D-Day. I don't understand why they wouldn't have one???

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 02-20-2019, 12:01 PM

I was interesting in this event only for the EIC. I would have shot other matches while I was there to make the trip from NC worth it. The anchor event(s) to anything CMP should be EIC(s) in my opinion. From my group of shooters the CMP missed out on probably 3 shooters that would come to this event if the EIC was being held, and on the right date.
CMP & NRA HP Master
26 down / 4 to go!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to xd9x19

Would a newbie be completely out of place at this event? I've purchased a Garand and a 1903 from the CMP, but have never used them in any competitions and haven't shot them at anything longer than 100 yards.

I've got a Beretta 92FS and Springfield XD9 that would qualify for the M&P part and also shoot clays fairly often at my gun club.

I wouldn't mind giving a try at shooting the rifles in a competition just to do it, but other than the rifle, I have no other equipment for a competition.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9x19 View Post
Would a newbie be completely out of place at this event? I've purchased a Garand and a 1903 from the CMP, but have never used them in any competitions and haven't shot them at anything longer than 100 yards.

I've got a Beretta 92FS and Springfield XD9 that would qualify for the M&P part and also shoot clays fairly often at my gun club.

I wouldn't mind giving a try at shooting the rifles in a competition just to do it, but other than the rifle, I have no other equipment for a competition.
The CMP is all about making a new shooters first competition a fun time!
Plenty of guys participate in CMP matches with just their rifle & sling, eye & ear protection, some kind of mat to lay on and not much else other than a desire to compete in a safe and organized, friendly atmosphere. If you can get a glove or shooting mitt, they help, and you will likely have no trouble borrowing a few items at the match as fellow shooters are very ready to help a new man on the line.
I strongly suggest you go to the CMP's New Shooter Clinic on Thursday just before the matches begin. The instruction will put you at ease and you'll know exactly what to expect as far as procedures and protocol come match time. This clinic I see also has live fire which is a bonus as sometimes they only do dry fire. You'll be firing on the Talledega range and get familiar with the electronic scoring/targets too. Here's the D Day Schedule, definitely try to make the New Shooter Clinic, and have a great time!
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=20190129

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 PM

I noticed on the schedule there is mention of different relay segments. So say if I sign up for Garand/Springfield/Vintage Military Rifle Match, would I shoot in multiple relays each day or the same relay (1, for instance) on each of the three days, or are all the competitors spread out across a relay group over three days, or you shoot in one relay for a category on a specific day?

I admittedly haven't searched much yet on the topic as I've just been reading the newsletter that came out today.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM

I like the games type event.Before it was not worth the trip for an M1,EIC and sniper match.
On the registration it appears that only 3 GSV can be entered.So 2 on one day,one the next or 3 in one day?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9x19 View Post

I'm with the other guys, get those guns out for a Games match event (I'm the games match director at ORSA in Oak Ridge TN, love to see the old guns on the line). They are 10X more fun to own for shooting in matches than plinking off a bench at 100 yards. Also highly suggest taking the clinic (you can get zeros that way too) to learn the course of fire and procedures. You can do surprisingly well with a web sling. You will want some type of heavy glove (if not a shooting glove) to protect your hand from sling. I'd loan any piece of my equipment to a new shooter or somebody that forgot something, I'm sure you'll find plenty of others that will. With the electronic targets at Talladega you don't need a spotting scope. You will want some kind of mat to lay on the concrete though. Eyes and ears and you'll be good to go.

Another reason to take the clinic is they do NOT mess around at Talladega, the electronic targets make it go smooth and fast (typically) and you better know the course of fire and have your sh*t ready because they stick to the 2 min prep period warning and 3 min prep time. So have all your stuff ready to go before they call you to the line.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. I may take the plunge.

Also, I see the e-store has a basic web sling, a mat and other shooting equipment like gloves. Is this stuff available for sale at the park or would I need to get it beforehand?

Last edited by xd9x19; 03-21-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added question to post
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM

I don’t see Modern Military listed.Maybe because it’s so controversial.