Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Stuck piston

Hey guys, I got an Israeli 5.4 Inland that belongs to a friend of mine to clean up and check out. It was on the M1's that were marketed to Police Departments several years ago for $138. It is all Inland except for a 6N mark on the bolt.

My question is that the slide was covered with a nasty sticky and sandy greasy goo. It is all over the inside of the stock too. I immediately suspected that it was shot with some very nasty ammo but when I started cleaning it up, the gas piston is stuck in place. I have tried to squirt Rem Oil all around to see if it would free up but no dice.

Any suggestions short of buying a gas piston wrench? All help is appreciated.

David

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM

Soak a few DAYS in good penetrating corrosion cutter like Kroil. You'll likely have to do that even IF you had the castle nut wrench to remove the gas piston nut (which I would highly recommend - to clean the gas cylinder properly).

Gunny
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the info Gunny. I was hoping not to have to spend any money on HIS rifle. LOL

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM

This happened to me. Sarco sells the "piston nut removal tool' for about $9.00.(Sarconic Inc.) Get one, don't try to shadetree mechanic it. Lefty loosey, righty tighty, Put wrench on tightly and slowely with "pressure" back nut out counterclockwise. Be carefull and go s-l-o-w. After nut removed "jiggle piston till it breaks loose. Clean the darn thing good with solvent. Do not scrape on it with abrasives. Clean it and nut with solvent/cleaner and set aside. Now straighten a medium size paperclip and straighten it on one end leaving a 90 degree bend for a "handle". With the aid of a flashlight or outside in the bright sun run th paper clip into the barrel tap hole and jiggle the bejeasers out of it. I shined a bore light chamber end and peered down barrel to make sure clip was in barrel. Jiggle good remove. Wipe out and cleen piston housing with solvent. I use plane old Hoppe's. Make sure threads are clean on nut, make sure piston is clean. Now "very important". insert piston and start the nut. Feel it thread, do not crossthread or you are screwed. Take you time go slow. "Tighten untill it bottoms out and stop. (Do not overtighten" . Do this , assemble slide, recoil guide/recoils spring. Make sure slide is lubed. The darn thing should then cycle like a chain saw gone crazy. Take your time, clean everything. Don't let the piston nut scare you, lefty loosie, righty tighty, don't crossethread. I had one would not cycle. Cycles like crazy. I am now on my third build from scratch b.r. Gunny was right, that Kroil is darn good solvent also. Good luck, let us know how it works. Get the darn tool. Don't try to jury rig it w/ screwdriver or something.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Getting old, forgot. When it is assembled do the old "tilt" test. It should recriprocate like a one testicled billy goat" Ha.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Happened to me too (do a forum search). Much angst but no worries in the end ... Soaked in Ed's Red (reputedly MUCH better than any "commerical" penetrants such as kroil, liquid wrench etc, just google) and piston just "shot out". The worst case is if not "corrected" by soaking and shooting with a walmart special, you still have your "single shot", and then you can apply "strong arm" tactics aka "the wrench"). "The wrench" was the first carbine item i bought, when I first became infected after watching the AGI videos, but I have yet to actually use it! Cheapest $10 I ever spent.

Last edited by meplat; 04-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 AM

Soak it some, dry inside of barrel, then shoot a round or two to see if that cycles the slide. Theres tremendous pressure on that piston and often will loosen it up. If so, leave it alone. If not, theres good info above how to remove and clean.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM

If you decide to remove the piston nut just be careful not to screw up threads or nut if it is staked. Or over tighten it when putting it back together. Just try spraying it first like it has been stated then try to move it by hand or just shoot it. Should loosen up.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Yes, soak it and shoot it a time or two first before removing the nut.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

cool, thanks for all the info guys. I will take care of it this weekend and let everyone know. I should have shot pics last night of the greasy slime that was all over the bottom of the slide and inside the stock. It was bad! I will let y'all know what happens Sunday.

David

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines