Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Default First trip to the north store

I am going to the NS on may 11th . Leaving from Buffalo NY. My truck is going in the shop and will be having a rental car so why not take the drive ! Any one that wants to tag along and help on the gas is welcome.
This will be my first Garand I hope they will have what I am looking for in rifle.. I dont care what it is ,or looks like, all I want is a tight shooter for shooting in a match.. I dont think that is setting my sights too high?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM

If you don't care what it looks like, I'd say you're setting your sights too low. There are usually quite a few that look good AND will shoot good on the racks. Take your time and measure the throat erosion and muzzle erosion(ideally both should be 2 or less, but certainly no higher than 3 for each (the lower the better) and check the trigger lock-up at the counter(there should be good resistance from the trigger guard when closing it up) If you don't have gauges, the guys at the counter do still loan them out I hope(otherwise the erosion numbers are often written on the hang tags). Ask questions if you have any and guys up there(customers and staff) will usually trip over themselves to help you.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM

Ah...the first time. It may even be better than that first time in the back seat of your parents car with that special girl. Enjoy the trip and as mentioned above there will be alot of help there for you to pick out a gem.. Most of the SG make fine shooters at $595

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGrabber View Post
Ah...the first time. It may even be better than that first time in the back seat of your parents car with that special girl. Enjoy the trip and as mentioned above there will be alot of help there for you to pick out a gem.. Most of the SG make fine shooters at $595
Yeah, the police are unlikely to shine a flashlight in your eyes, and ask why you are parked at the North Store........ But watch your speed on the way there