Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM

Lightbulb NM Collector Software Rewrite - Desktop

Please post your desktop ideas here. Conversations welcome!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:35 AM

Congrats on the soon to be retirement! Overall I am happy with this software, it fills my needs perfectly. Will you be keeping it based on Java?

1 - When filling out info for a new firearm it requires you to save your progress every time you switch to a different tab. While filling out I sometimes jump back and forth between 2 tabs like Identification and Description and keep getting the prompt to save changes or return each time. I'd like to wait and save once I'm done entering all my info, prompt me to save only when moving off the currently selected firearm and selecting a different firearm.

2 - When exporting to an Android version keep the pics in their native format if possible. It currently changes jpg to png and that doubles the size of the image files.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Thank you for your feedback.

I am not sure what language I will be using. One problem I have with Java is that code is interpreted by the JVM at execution time so it is slower than native code.

1. Would you prefer that it automatically save each change as it is made? The only reason I don't do that is because several customers said they would prefer to have the option to back out changes before saving. This makes things more complicated than they could be.

2. I think at the time I developed the Android apps there may have been limitations in the supported image types. I will revisit that.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

I am not sure what language I will be using. One problem I have with Java is that code is interpreted by the JVM at execution time so it is slower than native code.
The reason I ask is because I use Linux and I don't know how to compile or build anything. Your current version works well with my linux. Hopefully your new program will have a Linux version, you could supply it as an AppImage to be more universal, don't know how much work that takes though.

Quote:
1. Would you prefer that it automatically save each change as it is made? The only reason I don't do that is because several customers said they would prefer to have the option to back out changes before saving. This makes things more complicated than they could be.
What about just not having it save that often? Do all the editing you want on a firearm, any field, jump to any tab of that firearm without saving, but then save when selecting a different firearm. Is there a need or desire to have it save as often as it does now? You already have it save when closing the program, so that part is fine.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:42 PM

I used this software previously and at some point, quit.

I am a Iphone user (no desire to use it on my phone) - Ipad - would like that and a PC user

Ed
Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
The reason I ask is because I use Linux and I don't know how to compile or build anything. Your current version works well with my linux. Hopefully your new program will have a Linux version, you could supply it as an AppImage to be more universal, don't know how much work that takes though.
It will definitely support Linux as well as Windows, Android and iOS. Currently I do not have an iOS version but I intend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
What about just not having it save that often? Do all the editing you want on a firearm, any field, jump to any tab of that firearm without saving, but then save when selecting a different firearm. Is there a need or desire to have it save as often as it does now? You already have it save when closing the program, so that part is fine.
There is a greater risk of lost data waiting until the program closes - especially if people kill it, eject the USB, or shut down their computer before all of the data is saved.

I could setup some sort of transaction history with the ability to reverse selected transactions but, as you can imagine, that gets quite complicated!
Old 05-31-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I used this software previously and at some point, quit.

I am a Iphone user (no desire to use it on my phone) - Ipad - would like that and a PC user

Ed
I hear you and many others. An iOS version is one of my highest priorities. In fact, it may be the first thing I work on after retirement.

Thanks!