Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
That strange "fiber" looks more like a flaw in the alloy of the steel ? Maybe send a pic off to Criterion and see what they say?
It's not a fiber, it's like scale residue. I assume from shooting, although it's only had commercial .308 ammo through it. It's only in one area just at the rear of the front handguard in 2 of the grooves about 2" long. If it doesn't come out, I will give Criterion a call.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Back to the nasty IHC barrel.

The crown was corroded inside and pretty dinged up around the outside, so I recrowned and heat blued it. I use the Manson milsurp recrown cutter kit and a counter sink for the inner angle.

Here's how I heat blue a crown without getting the bluing into the barrel parkerizing, which looks uneven, especially with an original worn finish. I heat up the tip of the barrel with a heat gun to the point it's too hot to hold your finger on. I soak 1 to 3 patches laying flat on the bench (start with one, add more if needed) with Birchwood Casey cold blue. Then I hold the barrel vertically, crown down, set it on the patches and spin it. You can repeat until it doesn't get any darker. Rinse it in water and dry. This will not get blueing back onto the park. I think it turned out real nice.

Before

After

I would think this will improve the accuracy. I've done this on field grades with dinged up crowns and it does help, sometimes quite a bit.

I probably wouldn't recrown a highly collectable rife that I wasn't going to shoot, although the military armorers did it all the time, so it could be considered "correct".
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by mycanoe44; 06-28-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:21 PM

In hindsight, I should have bought the Pacific Tool 1964 pattern military crown cutter. Faster and more correct profile. I may still buy one just for milsurps. The Manson military crown kit is really for target barrels and is not close to USGI profile.