Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2020, 06:25 AM

Default M14 bolt roller clip ring tool and other homemade stuff.

There have been a number of adaptations of the M14 bolt roller retaining ring installation tools over the years, mostly made by grinding down pliers of different shapes and drilling the proper hole for the bolt roller shaft. I have made a bunch of these and never quite found one that would work the way I wanted it to. Always seem the smooth surface in the hole would allow the clip to slip out just as I was trying to put the roller into place.
Soooo, in the middle of the night a number of years ago after installing a pile of clips, I came up with an inexpensive solution that works perfectly for me.

Took set of small locking hemostats , warmed the jaws and formed them around the proper size drill bit. Now, easy squeezy, slip the clip over the bolt roller support into the recess and clip the tool in place and lock. That frees up that spare hand that has been trying to hold the clip. The bolt can be held in one hand the the roller pushed into place with the thumb. The serrations on the inside of the jaws hold the clip wonderfully.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 06-29-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM

A few more reasonable additions to the amateur M14 hobby shop that needed something specific.

1. Front sight filing guide.

2. Chamber polishing case. Also used to debur and polish the mag feed lips for precision smooth cartridge feeding and chambering.

3. Op rod guide install tool. Brass thick walled steam pipe from the 1800s.

One more pretty cool tool is using a 28mm diamond core bit to shorten shoulders on a barrel that hand times too far off to index. Neat thing is this tool does a very nice undercut so it works great.

RVN 67-68
Old 06-29-2020, 03:16 PM

Would you mind posting a better picture of your front sight file guide?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gun-drill View Post
Would you mind posting a better picture of your front sight file guide?

Happy to.

Better photos of home made front sight blade filing guide. Fashioned for 1/4" square stock 4" long. I like to put a chunk of electrical tape over the ears as protection from the file. Angle of the cut that I like is a little steeper than most would prefer. Works great to keep the top of the blade flat and level.

RVN 67-68
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM

I use a piece of PVC pipe for installing op rod guides. Your brass pipe probably transfers energy better so you don't have to wail away on it with the sledgehammer quite so much.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodnoodn View Post
I use a piece of PVC pipe for installing op rod guides. Your brass pipe probably transfers energy better so you don't have to wail away on it with the sledgehammer quite so much.
Rather than knurling the barrel for the op rod guide fit, I dimple the heck out of it with a sharp center punch, line the guide up just so and drive it on with the pipe. Haven't had one loosen up in 50 years with plenty of rnds down range. No need for loctite.
RVN 67-68