Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Calling all Krag Gurus

Puzzle here. Carbine length rifle with turn down muzzle to take a bayonet. Rear sight is a rifle sight. JFC cartouche and script P proof. Constabulary carbine? School carbine? Bannerman special? Mirror bore and a great shooter. I only have a few hundred in this so you won’t hurt my feelings.

http://imgur.com/a/TD983

Last edited by Bennett8; 03-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:02 PM

I have one very similar that was fitted with a M03 front sight band. It has JFC cartouche and RIA with a date stamped into the wrist in between the trigger bow and firing proof. 1918 or 21 if memory serves without pulling it out. Whoever cut it down did it right and it shoots like a dream.
I understand from past conversation elsewhere that school rifles may have a crudely done reduction in the circumference at the muzzle to allow a bayonet to be fitted.
Whether that's true or not is only speculation on my behalf.
Any body who has seen it says it's a Bannerman but what is particularly interesting to me is that the geometry for the reduction in the length of the barrel is proportionate to the graduations on the rear sight combined with the front sight. The rear sight has also been stamped with a C where it shouldn't be and it was fitted with a pistol grip at one time that was hollow on the inside like it was made from a piece of metal vs a hacked up wood splice.
I wish I would have had my son write down the math he used for me, he's the trig calc guy but he's busy for a while. It's a 1902 rifle sight, maybe its a fluke or nothing burger but it drops them right in there all day long pretty frickin easy.

Also picked it at a decent price and have no idea why someone got rid of it.
Absolutely love it, whatever it is.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 AM

There are really knowledgeable Krag guys at http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...military_krags
Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Probably a so-called "school gun". You often see them advertised on Gunbroker or other sites as "Philippine Constabulary" rifles, which they are not. While similar, virtually ALL PC rifles (with maybe one or two exceptions) were destroyed.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks! The muzzle is neatly turned down to accept a bayonet and it has a rifle sight not the carbine sight supposedly used on PC carbines. It is a great little shooter and quite fun!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 PM

By being a "rifle" sight, you mean there is no "C" stamp on the rear sight - or something else? Looks like a M1901 sight.

I looked up the number in SRS and it is definitely a cut-down 1898 rifle - not a carbine.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Can you post a pic of the 'turned down' muzzle please? The pics you posted have the muzzle cover in place
Old 03-18-2018, 05:44 AM

This should have a muzzle photo.
https://imgur.com/a/TD983
Old 03-18-2018, 05:45 AM

I am pretty confident this is high quality work!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM

agree