Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Default Acquired a Navy Trophy Rifle - Nnow some ?'s

How common were the birch stocks?

What components other than the barrel are unique.

Will a 30-06 enbloc work with 7.65 NATO ammo?

What does the "72" above the "19 SA" on the bolt signify?

Mine has a glossy finish, what was this finish?

Thanks!

Last edited by Big_Red; 04-11-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Reduce large pic size
Old 04-09-2020, 06:33 PM

If you PM me I can give you Jim Adell's email & he can tell you anything you want to know about the Navy Trophy rifles. He can also give you a letter attesting to the bonafides of your rifle if it is legit.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 04-09-2020, 06:34 PM

Nice rifle, thanks for sharing it. How did you come across it?

The birch stocks are very common, and often mismatched in color or mixed with walnut handguards.

Nothing other that the barrel is really “unique”, but some parts are modified specifically for that build.

30-06 enbloc will work fine. I would stick with GI though.

The glossy finish is a polyeurathane. I forget what brand it was but somewhere in my notes I have it written down. Typically they did three coats, and it can appear on the stock metal as the third coat was applied after assembly.

The 72 is somewhat unusual. Not really rare, but the Navy instruction did not call specifically for that marking. The general consensus is that is the year it was built and this seems likely. Most that I have seen marked there range from about 72-80 or so.

The white dot on your gas lock indicates how it timed on their “master” barrel. This was used to quickly sort and identify locks so they could be properly timed. Navy testing showed the proper assembly of the front end was the most important step in accuracy.

HTH.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:00 AM

Default Navy Trophy

Acquired last month through an online auction. Came with the original DoD hang tag from Crane, a letter from Jim Audel and a blank range book. It has a single slot gas plug and I have noted that several others I have seen on line do, is were a reason for this? Thanks for mentioning the white dot as I will not try to clean it off. Do they make 7.62 enblocs?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:12 AM

Default More photos

Last edited by Big_Red; 04-11-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Reduce large pic size
Old 04-10-2020, 07:31 AM

Nope, no specific 7.62 enblocs. Sorry, I could have been more clear in my post. There are however enblocs that don’t work as well with 7.62, but I have found most usgi work just fine.

The single slot gas plug was almost exclusively used. The thought was the later gas plugs were more likely to form cracks and leak gas. If I saw a poppet style plug, I would suspect it had been replaced. Don McCoy who is probably the most well known Navy armorer also used single slot plugs, but not exclusively. My guess is he used them when he had stock on hand.

I can’t tell from the photos, but what color is your bedding? Is it black or brown? Is your scorebook dated? How about the hangtag?
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 AM

Nice rifle. I examined it before the auction and it was on my list of things to bid
on, but I went for something else. Glad someone here got it.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Interesting, is that a modified(broken) tip safety? I know why this was often done, but is this also the norm on a match rifle?
Nice rifle...congrats!!!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:59 AM

Default Trophy M1

Safety is a WRA safety, tip does not look broken, however there does appear to be some handwork on the side facing the hammer. Will send a close up of the bedding, not black more like an OD Green. Hang tab is dated 6-4-00.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:28 PM

Hello TFLeader,
You have a very nice and some what scarce rifle there. There were two types of Navy trophy award rifles designated ( 7.62mm MK2 Mod 1 grade A ) and ( 7.62mm MK2 Mod 1 grade B )

The difference between the A & B were based on accuracy of the rifle and then installation of national match front rear sights. The rifles designated A by the navy armorer would get 1/2 minute match sights and the B would have standard sights.

I don't have my notes in front of me but a believe 1800 to 2000 of these rifles were produced at Crane Indiana. Less than 10% were designated A and the rest would be designated B.

If your rifle has match sights and a A stamped on the bottom of the pistol grip it would indeed be a rare rifle. As stated Jim Adell is the man to contact with the serial # to see if he has it logged in his paper work.

These are very interesting navy rifles part of the history of the M1 Garand.

Thanks for sharing

Also, many if not all were treated to a glossy polyurethane type finish. I am unsure of what the 72 may represent on the bolt ( possibly date of re-build ) last four of the serial # were stamped on all the major components.