"IF" the CMP had a MODERN Sniper Match..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubicon762
    • Aug 2011

"IF" the CMP had a MODERN Sniper Match..

Hi all

The Vintage Sniper Matches are very popular, and I plan to start next year with a M1903a3. There are strict rules (rightfully) so that rifles are period correct.

"IF" the CMP had a MODERN Sniper Match, let's say there are no restrictions. What would you use? For sake of discussion, match is fired at 600, 800, and 1000 yards, 2 shooters on a team.

Semi-auto or bolt? Caliber? (get crazy on this.)
    Scope power: unlimited.
    Brand of rifle? Don't forget economy minded/beginners!

Go.
    Camp Perry is not "a place for experts". It's a place to help YOU become an expert.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.
    Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
  • rottweiler
    • Oct 2009

Just pick up where the Vintage rifles end... Scoped M1a's aka M21 scoped Remington 700's aka m40. scope models and power would have to be same as issued
    Other countries probably have similar setups

Comment

• rickgman
      • Oct 2009

I would suggest that the match be limited to modern (post 1953) military sniper rifles or clones of these rifles. E.g., M21’s, M25’s, M40’s, M40A1’s, M24’s, M110’s, SR25’s, etc. I would also suggest two classes - bolt action and semi-auto.

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
        • Nov 2015

Non F-class bipods (foldable, and still allows the rifle to be carried by sling) or ruck sack-type bag support. Borrow the F-TR weight limit of 18lbs to prevent gamer chassis like the MDT ACC.

I reckon a .30-'06 or .300WM bolt could catch up to a .308 semi at 1000yds. Allowing sub-calibers/Creedmoors would boost popularity some, but I don't know how to categorize them. Maybe instead of power factor, use a BC/MV ratio.

I think 25x should be the limit. Or if an issued scope was close, like 27x, make it that.
        Distinguished Rifleman #2223
        "Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Comment

• hebes405
          • Jan 2018

I'd shoot my tubegun. Borden action, 6.5x47

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
            • Nov 2015

Depending on customer beta testing, maybe the new Ruger SFAR as a civ equivalent M110 with Meopta 3-18x50 Mrad1 and UTG Overbore bipod.

Or Ruger American Hunter or Tikka Super Varmint. Probably .30 cal.
            "Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Comment

• Rootsy
              • Feb 2013

Better fire it on F class targets…
              Michigan Rifle & Pistol Assoc - State High Power Director
              Distinguished Rifleman #2297

Comment

• rickgman
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Rootsy View Post
                Better fire it on F class targets…
                If one wishes to have a sniper rifle match, it makes sense to only allow real sniper rifles or clones of real sniper rifles. If one wants to shoot “fantasy” sniper rifles, F class is the right place to go.

Comment

• missilegeek
                  • Nov 2009

That's basically "F-TR".
                  Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
                  Service Pistol: 1903-2014

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
                    • Nov 2015

Ah yes, belly benchrest on skis.

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by rickgman View Post
                      If one wishes to have a sniper rifle match, it makes sense to only allow real sniper rifles or clones of real sniper rifles. If one wants to shoot “fantasy” sniper rifles, F class is the right place to go.
                      https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...n-Thread/3-40/

How clone-correct do they need to be?

Comment

• rickgman
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
                        https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...n-Thread/3-40/

How clone-correct do they need to be?
                        From what I can tell most of those rifles are excellent clones. The M24A2 was never fielded to the best of my knowledge but it is reasonably close to a standard M24 that I think it is still a legitimate clone.

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
                          • Nov 2015

My point is "what is the civilian equivalent of parts?" so people don't have to hunt down rare parts and pay collector prices.

Comment

• rickgman
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
                            My point is "what is the civilian equivalent of parts?" so people don't have to hunt down rare parts and pay collector prices.
                            If there is such a match in the future, the Rules Committee will have to make that determination. I don’t see that task being easy due to the detail involved but it is quite doable for someone with knowledge of the subject.

I believe some leeway can be given as long the resulting clone is a close approximation of the actual rifle. For instance, I could see a Redfield 3 - 9X Accu-Range scope being a suitable substitute for an ART scope on an M21 clone.

Comment

• missilegeek
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by rickgman View Post
                              If there is such a match in the future, the Rules Committee will have to make that determination. I don’t see that task being easy due to the detail involved but it is quite doable for someone with knowledge of the subject.
                              This is the CMP Rules Committee you're talking about. Good luck with that. How long did the "unlimited Garand" class have a limit?
                              Last edited by missilegeek; 10-15-2022, 06:56 PM.
                              Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
                              Service Pistol: 1903-2014

Comment

Working...
                              X