Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 AM

They made 6 million Carbines. They aren't rare. There are millions in this nation so those are all fantasy points.

A Rockola sold for $850 at a show in Oct, so a non-Rockola would've been less. However another Carbine (Underwood) sold for 750 at a show in Feb or Jan. I saw them both and watched them change hands.

Import marks are a way of dickering the price lower. It has nothing to do with preventing devaluing of already owned Carbines.

I have witnessed a barrel that was impacted by something which did make an internal impression, so it's definitely possible. Nobody has ever posted one, but it's possible.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 AM

For sure, a dented barrel is possible; but, I've never seen a blue sky hit hard enough to "deform" the barrel.
A one piece stamp that size, would need a really big drop hammer blow to deform a barrel significantly; however, many do have an deep stamp -yes! JMHO.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Lastly besides fairly priced and in great condition, you can be perhaps 1 of 4 owners of Blue Sky carbines out of the closet ...the rest in hiding unnecessarily !! LOL..import marks are irrelevant but the purists sure slandered the Blue Sky imports years ago and the stigma still lingers. Its a thing they do because they fear new imports will degrade the price of their precious carbines so they condemn any imported carbine.
Carbine price of non-import ones during the Blue Sky importation was in the 350-600 range. The Blue Sky ones are usually an ugly chalky battleship color that people don't want and rightly so.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a carbine that has import marks just because it has import marks...condition should always drive a carbines value.
And Blue Sky finish is ugly. It's not just the billboard stamp that people don't like.

Colin has been selling Carbine receivers for as little as 150 with no import mark. Receivers with no issues can be bought from him for 250 to 350 so that shoots the assertion down pretty easily.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03man View Post
For sure, a dented barrel is possible; but, I've never seen a blue sky hit hard enough to "deform" the barrel.
A one piece stamp that size, would need a really big drop hammer blow to deform a barrel significantly; however, many do have an deep stamp -yes! JMHO.
Nobody has ever posted one for proof that I know of.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
When is the last time you saw a carbine for $800? Considering condition, I'd not let the import mark deter me. Its Korean origin (last known user) adds depth to its history as a vet of the Korean war.

Lastly besides fairly priced and in great condition, you can be perhaps 1 of 4 owners of Blue Sky carbines out of the closet ...the rest in hiding unnecessarily !! LOL..import marks are irrelevant but the purists sure slandered the Blue Sky imports years ago and the stigma still lingers. Its a thing they do because they fear new imports will degrade the price of their precious carbines so they condemn any imported carbine.

Nothing wrong with a carbine that has import marks just because it has import marks...condition should always drive a carbines value.
I agree.....the import stamp IS the history. I own many Century, Excel and Arlington imports along with non import and CMP carbines.....they all work and run just fine.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 AM

But you asked for value. It can be considerably less.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 AM

To me, the Blue Sky stamp is just another importer stamp, UNLESS the particular one has a problem. My Blue Sky Underwood was a nice carbine, with all post-War features and a true grey finish. The wood was a well-sanded bland, birch stock with a lot of wear and dings and no character. It has been in a repro M1A1 stock since not long after I bought it...around 1990 for $169.

So...considering the current market prices, the "uncommon" maker and the overall condition of the rifle in question, $800 is probably a fine price--better if you can haggle a bit. Does it come with any mags, sling, oiler, etc? All gravy.

Rob
Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 AM

WW2 "D" sling, oiler....

Thanks again for ALL the replies fellas!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Its Korean origin (last known user) adds depth to its history as a vet of the Korean war.
The US sent 790,000 Garands, M1 and M2 Carbines, and M3 SMGs to the ROKs in 1969, the vast majority being carbines. You must have done some really detailed research to conclude that this one predated that VN era grant. I'm sure readers would like to know that method.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Not all history is good so to say an import mark is part of a certain M1 carbine's history is not necessarily glowing endorsement of it. I am also guessing that the majority of carbine collectors, people who truly collect and rarely if ever shoot, avoid imports like the plague or should I say in more recent times, COVID-19? Now, if someone bought one as a shooter then by all means the ole import mark means little if anything and I beg the shooter types to buy all of the import marked carbines there are so I don't have to look at them any more.