Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 AM

CCI standard velocity is excellent choice for the price. Flyers are rare and is definitely better than the competitors bulk HV ammo my rifles.
Limited shooting with Stingers reduced accuracy but I may give them another try in appropriate rifles. Interesting story on the Savage.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 AM

I've had pretty consistent accuracy with Federal AutoMatch 22 ammo. And it is sold in bricks/bulk boxes at a decent and reasonable price. I believe my last purchase was from Wally World @ $16.50/325 count box.

Bayou
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Almost universally rifles will be more accurate with some sort of standard velocity. There will be an occasional exception but as others have mentioned cci standard is my bench mark.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM

You key comment is the "shooting at 25 yds" thing, which not too many address. The bullet doesn't really have time to come back down through the "sound barrier" so won't be experiencing that shock - which could de-stabilize it. I won't pretend that I've shot at that range so can't say yea or nay to it. You'll have test the stuff yourself. You can probably get better prices across the board for the regular high speed ammo. Let us in on what you find out. I'd like to hear more.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshot223 View Post
Must have been Ron Coburn!!
Yeah, now that you mention it, I believe his name was Ron. Very nice guy!
Vic
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoz View Post
CCI standard velocity is excellent choice for the price. Flyers are rare and is definitely better than the competitors bulk HV ammo my rifles.
Limited shooting with Stingers reduced accuracy but I may give them another try in appropriate rifles. Interesting story on the Savage.
Yes sir, an interesting story.
Best of the New Year!
Vic
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156421...posted-public/
Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Not an expert, but

I was once told by some accomplished small bore competitors; is that standard velocity 22 never exceeds the speed of sound. HV does and usually slows down enough upon hitting the target to effect the trajectory. In other words HV breaks through the sound barrier and then comes back down below the sound barrier and those two break throughs the barrier affects the accuracy.
It makes sense, but I don't know enough to say it is true.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 PM

More of a thing of: slows down enough BEFORE hitting the target to break back down through the s.o.s. And that's the rule for small bore and high power (in my own somewhat imaginary world).
Old 01-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomky View Post
I was once told by some accomplished small bore competitors; is that standard velocity 22 never exceeds the speed of sound. HV does and usually slows down enough upon hitting the target to effect the trajectory. In other words HV breaks through the sound barrier and then comes back down below the sound barrier and those two break throughs the barrier affects the accuracy.
It makes sense, but I don't know enough to say it is true.
The bullet in HV .22LR goes trans sonic twice, going up (which is in the barrel) and dropping down to subsonic levels. I used to be a GCI controller and fighter pilots like being supersonic but don't like being in that trans sonic zone getting there. For the F-106, we defined that as Mach .92 to 1.05, IIRC.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 PM

When it goes far enough. Who cares what it does after it goes through the target? What's the velocity at 25 yards?