Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Artificially aged grips?

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that double diamond grips are just plain sexy, and a non-A1 just doesn't look quite the same without them. Rather than spend big money on originals, or risk damaging them on a shooter, have any of you successfully aged modern repros? I was thinking it needed some artful sanding, maybe some well-placed chips, and a good stain.

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that double diamond grips are just plain sexy, and a non-A1 just doesn't look quite the same without them. Rather than spend big money on originals, or risk damaging them on a shooter, have any of you successfully aged modern repros? I was thinking it needed some artful sanding, maybe some well-placed chips, and a good stain.

Thoughts?
I'm sure there are some experts out there that can work miracles. However, I fear that I would only succeed in creating what would appear to be, and would be, recent intentional damage. Seeing that a set of repro are inexpensive I would maybe throw them in my wife's garden and let them set for a while and see what happens... maybe kick them around a bit too.

Good luck!

I would love to be able to treat wood, leather and metal so it truly appeared aged. Nothing beats honest wear, mother nature and time.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Carefull where you put those grips! They could warp.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 PM

I for one don't understand the need to "age" grip panels. but in any event, just rub some dirt on it, that will look age it. or look at YOUTUBE for what different people do to give wood that "age" look
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 PM

Reality Check...

If a unit/support/depot armorer had to replace the beat to hell WALNUT stocks (grip panels) on a well worn M1911 with a set of new WALNUT or PLASTIC stocks, he sure as hell didn't worry about agin' 'em to match the well worn finish on the weapon!!!

He removed & replaced the stocks!!!

Finito!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 08-09-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:46 AM

DDRode, I have a 1916 1911 that's pretty roached. Heavy pitting and minimal finish left on it. Someone put new stocks on it at some point, and they look like a turd in the punch bowl. I'd prefer to have well worn stocks on there to match the beat up look of the pistol.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
DDRode, I have a 1916 1911 that's pretty roached. Heavy pitting and minimal finish left on it. Someone put new stocks on it at some point, and they look like a turd in the punch bowl. I'd prefer to have well worn stocks on there to match the beat up look of the pistol.
One's personal preference is one's personal preference!!!

SEE: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/823282439

Buy a new set of stocks and throw 'em in a coffee can full of sand & pea gravel and shake the hell outta it until yer happy with 'em...

AND/OR...

Tie 'em on a popsicle stick with a string like wind chimes & hang 'em outside to bang against each other and make lovely music in the wind & weather until you like the looks of 'em!!!

Then hit 'em with BLO or PTO...

VOILA...PERFECTO!!!

OR...

Go on YOUTUBE and type in "HOW TO MAKE WOOD LOOK OLD"!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 08-11-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Find a cop that carries a 1911, loan him the grips for a couple of months of duty use, then take them back. Voila! Perfectly aged and “distressed” grips.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 PM

I artificially aged a set of repro M1917 grips for my brother awhile back that turned out quite well. It was a pretty simple process. Carefully add artificial wear to areas that are typically worn (use abrasives like sandpaper, 3M pads, denim, etc), then soak the panels in a solution of coffee grounds, vinegar, and steel wool for approximately an hour. Allow the wood to thoroughly dry and finish with tung oil or BLO.

I'd honestly avoid making any chips or dents during the aging process. They will typically still appear as fresh damage. Just add wear to the checkering, high points, and edges and you should be good to go. I'd also suggest referring to a photo of an original, well worn set of grips and then duplicate the areas of wear.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218

Last edited by coolhandluke; 08-10-2019 at 10:51 PM.