Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 06:00 PM

The closer I look at the checkered magazine catch, the more it looks like it was a long face modified to a short face. Notice the uneven line of checkering at the bottom.

Last edited by gap; 11-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackp View Post
The OP's first and second mag catch shown are unlike any I have seen.

The serrated mag catch appears to have 90 degree channels cut into the face rather than beveled serrations. Reference several images of this type in War Baby! by Ruth, pgs. 48, 304.

The checkered mag catch shown in an image in War Baby!, pg. 35. has a diagonal pattern, not parallel to the side of the catch like the second OP's example.

I agree with Mike that the third mag catch is just a roughly machined Type 2.
The serrated catch channels are beveled. The photo is deceptive. A shot from the side shows that the serrations are not 90 degree. Will post pix tomorrow.

Last edited by gap; 11-11-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:43 PM

I think I can see what you're talking about. The shadows make a difference. If you invert the image the serrations do look beveled. A view from the side will help.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Here is a side view of mag catch #1 showing the serrations. Still looking for some insight on the checkered release....

Old 11-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Other than the depiction in War Baby, has anyone actually seen a checkered mag catch?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM

I can't believe that none of the experts out there are chiming in. This appears to be a never before identified Winchester part. Someone must have some insight into this "discovery"!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 PM

Here's mine. Apparently, it has been done on sporterized carbines before. The quality of the checkering would depend on the gunsmiths skills.
https://imgur.com/a/N2hOxgc

Or, maybe an expert will chime in and it's an uber rare part. Logically, this seems unlikely to me as checkering with such fine lines would have taken valuable production time and resources with seemingly no benefit.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Is there a manufacturer mark on yours? Where did it come from?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I can't believe that none of the experts out there are chiming in. This appears to be a never before identified Winchester part. Someone must have some insight into this "discovery"!!!
Sometimes the so called "experts" don't want to fry their reputations by giving dispensing information that might be incomplete, fuzzy or they simply don't know. I can see this situation with your mag catches as possibly being one of those times. Good luck figuring them out, I must say I've never quite seen them exactly in the configuration they are now. BTW, it's worth noting that safeties were modified from time to time by playing around with the cam areas on them, this is definitely different though or at least seems to be.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deldriver View Post
Sometimes the so called "experts" don't want to fry their reputations by giving dispensing information that might be incomplete, fuzzy or they simply don't know. I can see this situation with your mag catches as possibly being one of those times. Good luck figuring them out, I must say I've never quite seen them exactly in the configuration they are now. BTW, it's worth noting that safeties were modified from time to time by playing around with the cam areas on them, this is definitely different though or at least seems to be.
Catches 1 and 3 are identified, itís catch 2 that is in question.