Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM

The grips did not shrink (at least not significantly) but there is a definite difference in the size as they were made. The various makers in WW2 did not hold tolerance very well on the cuts for the grips, and the grip makers weren't much better. It is not at all unusual for the grips to not fit well, and in some cases you can see that they were sanded or rasped to fit. I have found that some grips are oversize and some undersize for a given bayonet. I image that during production or rebuilt they simply had a large selection of grips and just tried ones until they got them to fit. If they couldn't get one to fit, they shortened it until it did. So poor fit is common, nothing to get excited about as it didn't affect the usefulness and during wartime was not enough to cause rejection.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 PM

Any tips for degreasing one with wooden handguards?
Acetone?
Hot water?
Just getting 'round to opening mine up...
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
The grips did not shrink (at least not significantly) but there is a definite difference in the size as they were made. The various makers in WW2 did not hold tolerance very well on the cuts for the grips, and the grip makers weren't much better. It is not at all unusual for the grips to not fit well, and in some cases you can see that they were sanded or rasped to fit. I have found that some grips are oversize and some undersize for a given bayonet. I image that during production or rebuilt they simply had a large selection of grips and just tried ones until they got them to fit. If they couldn't get one to fit, they shortened it until it did. So poor fit is common, nothing to get excited about as it didn't affect the usefulness and during wartime was not enough to cause rejection.
I didn't mean to imply that the original problem was due totally to shrinkage associated with age, I'm personally agreeing with Bayonet's explanation above.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyv View Post
Acetone?
Hot water?
Start with acetone - it'll remove grease without removing patina. If the wood is throughly soaked with grease, use heat. I wrap mine in paper towels, put the wrapped bits in a black garbage bag, and stick that under the rear windshield of my car in hot sun. Of course, that works better in July than November, so I'd use a heat gun. Heat up the parts and wipe away the grease as it leeches up, then wipe with acetone. Refinish with BLO or Tung oil, and you're good to go.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM

I would be careful with acetone. I used some to remove a rack number from a stock and it removed the patina as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
Excellent posting! Bayonetman to the rescue AGAIN!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM

The serial number issue that people are referring to with the Greek returned bayonets has to do with the serial number stamped by the Greeks on the cross guard not the original serial number stamped on the blades at the time of production.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyv View Post
Acetone?
Hot water?
I used purple degreaser 50/50, rinsed under hot tapwater,toothbrush with purple mix, rinse, repeat, air dry. There is still aome oil left in the wood, no cracks, original color.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Greeks got bored, parked everything, even the goats.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM

If it comes off with thinner, acetone, naval jelly or bix stripper, it isn't park but paint. Which is what I said over a year ago.