Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Default Final Wed Store Report

After nearly a year of not going down to the store because of the empty racks, I decided to make the trip to the store for the last Wed they will be open. Got there around 9am and there were 3 other customers in the store. Leon and Mike behind the counter. Always worth the trip just to talk to them.

Garands -
One full rack of the HRA SG Specials, all in nice CMP walnut stocks.

Multiple racks of drill rifles. I found six with lock bar sights. Didn't ask to break any down, but it looked like you can still find some usable parts on some of them.

There were plenty of D and C snipers if your wallet is capable of handling the price.

The only gem of the day was in the first rack that held 2 Winchester SG rifles. Both had lock bar sights, but the the first one I picked up had a really tight VAR barrel with the muzzle reading of 0+ and the throat at 1. It was dated 12-65. Nice arsenal refurb stock with an "A" on the grip and a small metal rack tag on the bottom of the grip. All the other parts were SA (op rod was a -6).

The other Winchester had a SA barrel and parts with a M=2, T=3. As badly as I wanted to take the first one home, this was an ammo only trip and I handed it off to a gentleman from GA who had been looking at the HRAs. After talking further to Mike about it, he bought it and seemed very happy.

There were also to SA Garand barreled receivers with bolts on one of the wall racks that looked okay. Didn't check them out closely.

One full rack of the Daisy air rifles, and the Kimbers are gone.

There were 2 chrome O3s with welds, but pretty decent stocks and there were 4-5 really busted up 03 drill rifles for $125.

The bayonet table was pretty thin. Only 3 of the 16in SA rack grades. Big box of the M5 post war bayonets. Found two really nice Imperials and one found it's way into the car for the ride home.

The same box of leather slings was on the floor and the boxes of rusty carbine magazines were still on the counter but nearly empty.

On the ammo side there was nothing new. Picked up 2 cans of HXP and there is still some AP left for those interested (200 rds @ $110).

After hitting the CMP store, we drove over to the new Creedmore store. Really nice store, plenty of stuff for shooters of all skill levels, and they are also selling pistols and rifles in addition to the target rifles and bolt guns. Well worth the side trip for those who are already at the South Store.

ST
Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Great report. I'm surprised there were Winchesters still there. I got a great one out of that batch.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 PM

There were three when the door opened. Was told that they were picked out last Friday and the the gentleman left saying that he would be back on Sat to purchase them. He never returned and Leon put them back out this morning. Don't know what the one that went early looked like but the two that were left were both "keepers". I'm betting the last one there doesn't make it to the weekend.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 AM

Winchester SGs at the SS????? dammnnnnn. Oh well.....

How much AP was left?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 AM

There have been Winchester SGs on the SS racks on-and-off for the past few weeks, my guess is that the volume discovered over time is projected to be too low to accumulate for mail order sale.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM

They had seven Winchester Service grades last Friday when I got there, only three when I left, but none had lockbars. I only took two.
Registered Voter
Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 AM

How much AP was left... not much. Was told that they had less than a full pallet remaining at the SS.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM

I had forgotten that Creedmore moved close to the South Store. Dang it, I could have stopped by for a browse when I was there in August. Rats.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleTramp View Post
How much AP was left... not much. Was told that they had less than a full pallet remaining at the SS.
Well, there's even less now.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 AM

I arrived at the South Store about 1230 on the final Wednesday and there were no Winchesters left on the racks. Like saddletramp says there were copious qtys of C&D snipers and some Type 2 National match rifles, which were and will not be in my price range. The same two chrome 03s were still there. Lots of .22 barreled receivers, mostly H&R M12 and Remington 521. There was only one M1 barreled receiver left. The bayonet table was as noted fairly bare. I found a 1905 with wood grips that I thought might work but it had a small chuck missing from the tip. On a whim, I asked Leon if there were any more 16" left and he asked if I wanted wood grips or plastic and the date range. He came back with about 5 of them all with wood and WW1 dates. I picked out a nice 1918 that had a nice blade.
There were two boxes of the rusty carbine mags left and I didn't notice the slings. In fact since this was my first trip there I walk right past the bayonet table without noticing it at first!
There were also some stocks for the Mossberg 44US and 144.
There were no SG, FG or RG that I could find, but I did notice that many of the drill rifles had a weld in the oprod track. Some had been milled out and some not.
Chief