Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Question C & r

How would one go about getting a C & R license, and would it be useful for the average collecter of WWII rifles (and maybe pistols - I do have a NY and FLA carry Lic.)
Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Tom,when I got my C+R it was from the information I got from this site http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp. On the home page they have a section "C+R license information", it will walk you through the process. Mine took about a month to get..was well worth it ..cost $ 30 for 3 years.Most of the larger vendors Midway, Brownells,to name a few offer a discount to license holders.It makes it easier for interstate purchase of C+R firearms. Hope this helps...welcome to the forum,Rich
Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Default C&R

Tom, it's not hard to get. Just get the forms from ATF and follow the instructions. As for using it, I walked into Cabela's in Reno a few months ago and spotted an old Ithaca double I just had to have. I slapped a copy of my C&R down, paid the price and walked out of the store with the gun. I carry a copy of my license in my wallet and another in the glove compartment of our vehicles, just in case. Also, as it has been already mentioned, you can get a discount from some companies. Go for it!
Ed
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM

My FFL03 C&R took ~60 days to get and it paid for itself after the first rifle I bought by finally ending the transfer fees I formerly paid my friendly FFL01. This thread has additional helpful information to that already noted above. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=6
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Tom...very easy to get and well worth it. Paperwork is little more than: Name, Address, how long have you lived there, how do you want to pay and, in general, "Kid...have you ever been arrested?

Picked my paperwork up at a gun show - the BATFE had a table full of info and the agents were very friendly and helpful. As a matter of fact, when I told the Agent I collected old military firearms, he encouraged me to get a C & R! Paid for itself on my first purchase.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

just dont get complacent and careless about your book, tho rare they /batf/ do do checks on c&r s and dont get into the buying for friends mode it can cause trouble for you
Old 12-18-2009, 01:04 AM

Thumbs up

Great info! You guys are AWESOME! A big "Thank you" to Rich, Ed, Bob, Mech and Deputy.
You were also right that the govt web sites are down, but the phone and address info you provided will get me on my way.
BTW, I received my "DBU" from CMP today. Only 60 more days to wait . . .

Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM

I filled out the paper work a few weeks ago and let me just say it does not take long to do at all. They ask for basic information and the only pain is that you have to fill out the form twice once for ATF and the other for you CLO.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM

You can't beat the advantages of having a C&R. When your local pawn shops are pricing their WWII weapons at twice what they should be (and won't come down) you can take your time and cherry pick what you want on Gunbroker. Plus you can order from AIM, Century, etc. when they have good stuff available (not like two years ago but sometimes).
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Getting you C&R

You can't go wrong. As Old Chief mentioned, you can cross state lines and buy from dealers who have what you want.

Also, make a lot of copies. I made about 25 or so of my license. DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT sign the original license. You have to sign a "wet" signature, that's why you make the copies. Then you either mail, or as some including me did, you walk into the store make your pick, pull out the cash or CC, sign and hand the copy to the clerk. I, like other's here, saved the $30 or more on our first transaction.

The best of luck to you. Happy buying .
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan