Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 AM

Default 1911a1 in action

I've always heard that capturing 1911's in action was not common.

Here is one that was in a small collection of pictures I bought - also a Thompson - all Pacific Theatre WW2

and one of a guy kidding around

These are all copyrighted by me and in my books

AND, please no 'finger control' comments - back in the day....
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM

This is a picture I received a few years ago, showing Marines on D-Day, on Iwo Jima. Although no 1911's are visibly present, you can see the Marine on the far right has one strapped to his hip.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Somewhere I have a picture of my grandfather with his 1911. He served mid 50’s in the USMC.

I have weapon slips for three M1 Garands he was issued over the years but none for a 1911. I did find a 1911 holster in his footlocker though.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:17 PM

During the 1914 Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa "The first sergeant of the U.S. Scouts was said to be able to track anyone over any terrain. He and his comrade are armed with Model of 1911 U.S. Army pistols, shown here with a U.S. Model 1912 holster."

The book US Small Arms in World War II: A photographic history of the weapons in action by Tom Laemlein has multiple pictures of US handguns and the other small arms in action during WWII.

The crew of the "The Pay Off", a USMC M3 Stuart tank posing with their personal weapons on Bougainville.

Vietnam tunnel rats

SGT Ronald H. Payne entering a tunnel in search of Viet Cong with a flashlight and M1911 pistol.

Marine Sgt. M. W. Patrick, military policeman, police protective course
U.S. DoD Photo by Gene Jones
06-APR-1981
Old 12-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Kenneth Hinds Exits an Enemy Bunker, 1968
"Fate for a Bunker: Marine Private First Class Kenneth Hinds, 19 (Route 4, Springdale, Arkansas) of C Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines [1/1], 1st Marine Division, crawls from an enemy bunker in which he had placed a charge of high explosives. His company found this and other bunkers during a combat operation south of Da Nang (official USMC photo by Rick Lavers)."

From the Jonathan F. Abel Collection (COLL/3611) at the Archives Branch, Marine Corps History Division

OFFICIAL USMC PHOTOGRAPH

Roger Jenkins Sweeps Through a Rice Paddy, 1969
"Ready and Alert: is Private First Class Roger D. Jenkins, 19 (Jackson, Mississippi), as he sweeps through a rice paddy on a search and clear operation being conducted five miles southeast of An Hoa Combat Base. Jenkins is a member of G Company, 2d Battalion, 1st Marines (official USMC photo by Sergeant Huffman)."

R.W. Blish Enters an Enemy Tunnel, 1969
"Checks Tunnel: Private First Class R. W. Blish, 18 (Clairmont, New Hampshire), prepares to check out an enemy tunnel and bunker while on a sweep I Company, 3d Battalion, 26th Marines [I/3/26] during Operation Taylor Common near the An Hoa Combat Base, 18 miles southwest of Da Nang (official USMC photo by Corporal W. R. Schaaf)."