Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Default 1911 United States Property Mark Removal

Hello all,

I have a Colt 1911 made in 1918 that has had the United States Property marking removed from the frame.

I understand that it is not uncommon to find 1911's with this marking missing.

Was the removal of the marking done by the U.S. Army or was this a nefarious attempt by the doughboy to smuggle his weapon home after the armistice?

It removing the marking was an attempt to hide the origins of the pistol it seems like defacing the property mark would be a poor choice.

I would appreciate anyone's thought or comments on this issue.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:12 PM

It would have been done after having left the service. Likely, a civilian owner didn't like the idea of owning a gun marked as being US property.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroub View Post
it would have been done after having left the service. Likely, a civilian owner didn't like the idea of owning a gun marked as being us property.
fpni.....
Old 04-10-2019, 05:10 PM

I'd say there's more than just the two choices of "removed by the Army" and "nefarious doughboy after the Armistice", for sure. The first choice is very unlikely just on logic- what would be the point and why would the Army bother? Second choice means a doughboy had some means to do it. Even if he did, if the pistol was discovered, the Army wouldn't say "Oh, I can't read the US property marking. It's OK then, carry on."

Somebody wanted that gone. The intent was to hide or remove that, even if it was just from the owner's sight. S/N is still there I assume, so it's sort of a pointless undertaking if illegality was involved. Sort of pointless all around. If a stolen pistol was being sought and it was US Property marked, discovering a similar pistol with obscured markings right were the "US Property" marking would be is more than a touch suspicious. But then again people do weird things.

Last edited by Chris_B; 04-10-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM

I have a 1911 serial number mfg 1918 that I acquired after my father died and my mother said he had a foot locker in the attic. It was parked and it did not have any U.S. property markings on it. I did remember a story he told me when I was young that at the end of the war he just wanted to go home and that he did not want to be caught walking off with anything that belonged to the government. I disassembled it and put strait edge on the lower right side and it was perfectly flat and the serial number is nice and sharp. I took it to a O.G.C.A. show and found a 1911 collector and he said that missing the property stamp hurts the value of it. I told him it wasn't for sale and I was just trying to find out a little about it. He said the stamp could have been missed on production but a collector would not be interested with out the stamp.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Who is the manufacturer?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 PM

I have seen a number of such pistols at shows with fresh grinder marks on them. Some old fellow wanting to sell a pistol he'd "pinched" from his service days gets nervous about the "USP" markings and grinds them off, not knowing he was destroying the value of the item he was hoping to sell.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 PM

I have never heard someone say that they took off a us property marking, but I’ve had at least one and have seen more at shows.

Off the subject, but a friend came across a very, very rare Luger, a test luger Counter variation. The family, seeing it was ‘worn’ decided prior to the gun show to jewel the bolt and many other parts to make it pretty. A friend bought it, so I know the story is true...
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 PM

For some strange reason 1911’s ( as opposed to A1’s) are often found with the property stamp removed, often in a very clean well done fashion ( not like an individual soldier hastily or sloppily removing it) only a theory of mine with absolutely no documents to support, but I suspect at some point a large number were surplused out and some company like bannermans’s removed the property markings

Last edited by MajorD; 04-10-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Problem with your theory is that with the exception of the NRA pistols sold pre WWI and post WWII sales through the DCM there was no large scale release of 1911/1911A1 pistols for anyone to scrub on an industrial level.