Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 PM

How about a guy in 1960 that is not a "collector" and just wanted a cheap shooter. Pays his $ 17.00 and buys a 1911-A1 through the DCM. When he gets the gun he see's "U.S. PROPERTY" stamped on it. He says B.S. I have a bill of Sale from the Army and it's now MY PROPERTY. One night after a few beers this starts to bug him and he goes down the basement, gets his grinder and removes the "U.S. PROPERTY" stamp. Now he is happy and all is good again.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Since we are throwing all sorts of speculation out there I'll play too.

Maybe they were lent out to a country that removed the markings at some point then returned them to the US some years later. Does not seem likely since I have not heard of any countries removing the US markings from Carbines or Garands we lent them but neither the Carbines or Garands actually say "United States Property" on them using those words.

GuapoPogi
The British did indeed often remove the US Property stamp on many Savage built and LL supplied No4 Enfields when they went through rebuild.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Have you seen markings removed with acid?

Years ago at a gun shop, I saw an otherwise beautiful WWI 1911 Colt that had the markings removed. The United States Property on the left side of the frame had been removed, probably with a file. But the Model of 1911 US Army on the slide had been removed with acid. It looked like they applied the acid with a Q-tip or similar to keep it just on the markings.

Dave
Old 08-09-2019, 05:19 PM

To add to what has been said. I just received my Service Grade 1911 from the CMP so obviously from US Military stock. It is a Colt frame, Colt Slide. The receiver shows it to be a 1919 make and the slide on the left side has the Colt pony and patent info one would expect. However, the right side of the slide does not have "Property of United States" but the frame does. There is no evidence of the stamp being ground or milled off.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Hound View Post
To add to what has been said. I just received my Service Grade 1911 from the CMP so obviously from US Military stock. It is a Colt frame, Colt Slide. The receiver shows it to be a 1919 make and the slide on the left side has the Colt pony and patent info one would expect. However, the right side of the slide does not have "Property of United States" but the frame does. There is no evidence of the stamp being ground or milled off.
The slides weren't marked "United States Property" …...the receiver was.
What you have is normal.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 PM

I have seen many more M1917 Colts with" United States Property" removed than any other firearms.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM

A lot of M1911’s were “liberated” at the end of WWI. As one could buy a commercial M1911, why not get rid of the USP markings so one’s pistol would look just like the others. Remember, the soldier pinching it wasn’t worried about collectors in 2019, but someone dropping a dime on him in 1919.

Now that STG44 in the attic, no amount of grinding off markings is going to make the authorities not notice....
Old 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Hound View Post
I'm thinkin' your SLIDE isn't a WWI slide!!!

It's either a NOVEMBER '42, OCTOBER '44, or MARCH '45 variant!!!

If it's a NOVEMBER '42 variant...it's got the serial number behind the FIRING PIN STOP!!!

If it isn't a NOVEMBER '42 variant, it's the OCTOBER '44 & MARCH '45 variant...depending on the design of the RAMPANT COLT!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 08-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Guys too, the number of stolen M1911's out there would amaze you.

I always knew a lot were stolen, but not to the degree that I saw when I started to dig in the Archives. Just one branch, for one year (1944), I found thousands of serials of stolen M1911 and M1911A1's.

In fact I found a location of probably tens of thousands of stolen pistol serials at the Archives.

I thought about copying them, but then all the documents would prove is you own a stolen pistol.

But I imagine a lot of us have owned ones off these lists.