Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
I never saw one any other way FWIW. I think all the freshly rebuilt ones have spoiled people and when a actual pistol that sat in a rack pops out folks get disappointed.
Entirely possible... Maybe my expectation of service grade is too high.. I'm basing it mostly off the many Garands I have ordered through CMP and other GI 1911s I have seen or collected over the years. This pistol is the 2nd worst 1911 I have ever handled, a tie for worst over the fit, only its finish is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Mines the same way, rattles when you shake it. Just they way some of them are
Rattle can be ok, I have a rattle trap 70 series gov but shoots lights out because the barrel locks up properly in battery. This pistol has really bad lockup and the crown is gnarly. I really believe it was solely graded on bore condition and the gnarly crown throwing off the bore gauge (if they use ME as a grading requirement.)

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-02-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts again...use multi-quote function!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:40 PM

How do gauge ME on a pistol? I have never heard of or seen a pistol muzzle gauge. Not trying to be smart *** or anything just trying to learn.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:59 PM

what are the frame measurements and the slide measurements compared to the original drawings.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Don't know guys, I'm just gonna let cmp have a crack at it
Old 08-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanw View Post
I cant take photos of the fit sloppiness but here is the slide position.

That is a big gap. Does the safety engage OK?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Yup, safety is not an issue, blocks the sear perfectly
Old 08-02-2019, 12:10 PM

I have to say, I am not an expert, but have handled or shot dozens of USGI M1911/A1 pistols over the years and have never seen a slide sitting that far forward. I agree with colemanw, I would be concerned also. Will be interested to see CMP's response.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Mines the same way, rattles when you shake it. Just they way some of them are
LOL THat's why entire businesses have been built fitting and accurizing 1911's. I bought a Colt MK IV Series 70 and brought it to a pistolsmith (as opposed to a gunsmith!!) to have the sights upgraded. I told him that I was not happy with how tight the frame to slide fit was and the difficulty removing the barrel bushing. He laughed and said "I have people pay me $500 to tighten their 1911's up. Just keep it oiled and consider yourself lucky. "
Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
LOL THat's why entire businesses have been built fitting and accurizing 1911's. I bought a Colt MK IV Series 70 and brought it to a pistolsmith (as opposed to a gunsmith!!) to have the sights upgraded. I told him that I was not happy with how tight the frame to slide fit was and the difficulty removing the barrel bushing. He laughed and said "I have people pay me $500 to tighten their 1911's up. Just keep it oiled and consider yourself lucky. "
You want play in the rails, but the barrel should lock op tight at the bushing, the hood lugs, and the barrel feet to the slide stop so not to ride the link. Granted GI guns dont need to meet that exacting standard but this particular pistol is particularly bad on that front. And I get that it's fairly normal to see them like this.. I hoped for better for spending the extra money.

As for the 70 series, the original ones had a collet bushing that was spring loaded against a tapered barrel, you are supposed to back the slide out of battery a hair to relieve that tension before trying to turn the bushing. Not sure if you're talking about an original or one of Colts remakes they are doing these days with a standard bushing.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:42 PM

i usually roll my eyes at anyone complaining about the 1911's they receive from CMP, as the few i have seen were obviously guys that didn't understand they were getting a USGI handgun that was made 70+ years ago with tons of history...... however yours is the first example of a gun that the complaint is justified...... mistakes happen and hopefully CMP 1911 takes care the issue......If it were me, I would lock this thread until a conclusion is reached and then report back at that time...... (just my opinion)......