Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2019, 01:45 AM

Default Field Grade Colt frame and slide. Thank you CMP, I love it!!

Chose a field grade because I was hoping to get a pistol with some honest wear on it. All the service grades are beautiful, but I wanted a gun that has stories to tell. I also collect Colts, so I was really crossing my fingers for a Colt. So tempting to ask the nice lady on the phone if she could just possibly find it in her heart to grab a Colt off the pile for my order....but I didn't. I figured everyone was doing that and they must get tired of it, so I just kept my mouth shut and politely ordered a field grade.

I absolutely love what I received. 1919 Colt frame with a Colt slide, and at least 3 rebuilds under its belt. Been with the armed forces for 100 years and issued to God only knows how many soldiers. I believe it's seen service with the Army and the Marine Corps (due to the Sedgley rebuild stamp). And it's definitely seen use since its last rebuild which only makes me want it that much more.

Thank you to the kind folks at the CMP. Genuinely nice lady on the phone and I really must say for $950 I'm more than happy.

Here is what I know about the gun:

Most likely shipped on 2/7/19 to the Army Reserve Depot at South Schenectady NY. There were four other small shipments it could have gone in (2,200 guns total) but the majority went on 2/7/19 (35,700 guns). (thank you thebearpack for this info)

Judging by the wear on the rebuild stamps, it was first rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal and later rebuilt by Sedgley, and then a third time at Ogden Arsenal. Ogden Arsenal operated until 1955, so the last rebuild was likely done before 1955.

Stamped "AA"on left side of frame is mark from rebuild at Augusta Arsenal, the stamp appears the most worn of the 3 rebuild marks, so it is probable it was first rebuilt by Augusta Arsenal.

Stamped "S" with cirlce around it on right side of trigger guard is rebuild mark from R.F. Sedgley, a company outside Philadelphia that alledgedly did 1911 rebuilds for the military during the 1930's. Many believe the pistols Sedgley
worked on were only for the Marine Corps because his shop was just blocks from one of the largest USMC depots in the country. Even the most recognized of experts will admit that there is no 100% proof that the Sedgley theory is true, no documentation exists to confirm what the circle "S" mark is or isn't. If you have an opinion, please share it.

Sedgley marking appears less worn than the "AA" rebuild stamp and more worn than the "OG" rebuild mark, so it most likely was rebuilt the second time by Sedgley and most likely during the 1930's since that when people seem to think they were supplying that service. Also, Sedgley died in 1937.

Stamped "OG" on right side of frame is mark from rebuild at Ogden Arsenal, appears the most recent since it has not been sandblasted over. Most likely the most recent time the pistol was rebuilt (the third rebuild) and was done at Ogden Arsenal.

Barrel is replacement High Standard barrel

Magazine has been replaced with WWII magazine produced by General Shaver

Right grip is Keyes Fiber grips with reinforcement rings that were standard issue for Remington Rand/Ithaca/US&S M1911A1 pistols.

Left grip is a WWII Coltwood hollow back model

Eagle with "S12" for US Ordnance inspector's mark

Slide appears correct

Mainspring Housing appears correct

Hammer - checkering goes all the way to the cut down part????

Thumb Safety is WWII Ithaca

If you see any details I have wrong or something I missed, please post it.

Yes, this is cross posted on another web forum but I wanted to make sure I posted it here because I've been enjoying seeing the pictures that some of you have posted of your pistols.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Last edited by Jack Hammer; 08-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Thumbs up

Your a lucky camper
Bay of Pigs Fiasco
TIN CAN sailor
VFW LIFE member
NRA LIFE member.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 PM

TGO, Congrat's. Its a beauty.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Very nice. Well done.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM

That’s a beauty! Congratulations!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Well Done. What a lovely 1911 and great read for a Sunday morning.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM

The hollow grip is a hard to find early style Coltrock grip. Nice!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
The hollow grip is a hard to find early style Coltrock grip. Nice!
SIMPSON LIMITED has early COLTROCK grips!!!

SEE: https://simpsonltd.com/early-colt-1911-a1-grips/

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM

outstanding 1911

Tags
1911, colt, field grade