Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 PM

Default 1918 Colt/RR slide question

Here's my 1911 Service Grade received 02/08/2019. My RGN was 8320.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/15dVNQBVVMWRoyaG6
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Default 1918

I have been looking at the pictures of other 1911 recipients' pistols and comparing them to my pistol, specifically the RR slide. I believe it is/was cracked. It looks like it was repaired, but not very well. Is this just superficial battle scar or is it something that needs to be "made right"?

For whatever reason I just noticed that I am not allowed to post attachments (pictures). Pending getting that privilege, the picture will have to wait.
OK, it is Post #1 in this thread and zoomed in you can see what I am questioning.

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-16-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Updated original post reference #
Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletee2 View Post
I have been looking at the pictures of other 1911 recipients' pistols and comparing them to my pistol, specifically the RR slide. I believe it is/was cracked. It looks like it was repaired, but not very well. Is this just superficial battle scar or is it something that needs to be "made right"?

For whatever reason I just noticed that I am not allowed to post attachments (pictures). Pending getting that privilege, the picture will have to wait.
Are you sure its not just a heat treat color change?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 PM

I don't think so. It's on the left side muzzle area between where the barrel is and the recoil spring is longitudinally. Best I can describe without a picture. It could also be a deep scratch that was partially filled before parkerization (if that is even possible?). I have not fired the pistol or field stripped it BTW.

Funny I posted pics of my pistol in this thread and they are still there, but now I can't post pics! I have notified the Admin.
Check Post #1in this thread. It is visible.

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-16-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Updated original post reference #
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Doubletee2 I looked at your other post #333 and there are no pics there as well, or at least that I am seeing??? Ike
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Thanks, General Ike. I'll just wait for Admin to grant the privilege or explain why not. I can see the pics, but I guess no one else can. It is a link to Google photo album.

Last edited by doubletee2; 08-13-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, General Ike. I'll just wait for Admin to grant the privilege or explain why not. I can see the pics, but I guess no one else can. It is a link to Google photo album.
Travis,
I saw your post in the Forum Webmaster section.
I’m not seeing anything in your profile that will preclude you from posting pics.

The issue I see with your previous post, #333, is that you tried to post an album as an actual photo. If you go back and look, I reposted it with a URL link, so it shows up now...same as here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/15dVNQBVVMWRoyaG6

If you were to copy the individual http addresses for the actual pics from that album, you should be able to post them using the IMG function, and they should display here.
Otherwise, you can post a link to the album (as above), just be sure to do it with the URL link function (the button with the earth and a chain link under it).

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Default Cracked/Damaged Slide?

Thanks to "Big Red". Any opinions if this normal or needs being "made right"?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EaCuGmjSRnxiGdEz8

Even if this not cracked, could it by firing repeatedly?

Last edited by doubletee2; 08-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 AM

To my untrained eye that looks like the edge of a grinding disk where it dug in to the metal. I have made marks like that on metal objects if the grinding disk is pressed at a severe enough angle.

Just suggesting ...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks to "Big Red". Any opinions if this normal or needs being "made right"?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EaCuGmjSRnxiGdEz8

Even if this not cracked, could it by firing repeatedly?
The following describes COLT milling operations...and I'm sure REMINGTON RAND followed much the same processes.

SEE: https://forum.m1911.org//temp/1911manufacture.pdf

"Following this, profiling cuts are taken for the firing-pin stop, safety-lock and slide stop, and the angle on the rear of the slide-stop notch is formed by shaving. The front end is then faced and milled to receive the barrel-bushing locking nut. Various filing, reaming, and burring operations are followed by a preliminary inspection. Both sides of the slide are then ground, and the verti-cal serrations that provide a grip to pull the slide backward in the initial loading operation are milled. The top curvature of the slide is ground, and the front end is finish-milled."

Looks like someone got a little sloppy while touching it up with a disk grinder after it was finish milled (before hardening & tempering)...

BUT...

It was still in-spec & passed all in-process & FINAL INSPECTION ("P" proof mark on top of slide of all RRs) before it went out the door!!!

SO...

I sure as hell wouldn't worry about it...

Last edited by DDRode; 08-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.