Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Feed Ramp Issues

Has anyone had feed ramp issues on their CMP M1911 pistols? I'm not sure if it's the heavy park on my M1911 pistol that causes the round to nosedive and not go into full battery. Any suggestions from those of you who have been longtime Milsurp M1911 shooters out there?

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Try a few different mags
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 PM

The feed ramp shouldn’t really come into play if the pistol is setup correctly. Someone else on the forum posed that he had a gunsmith modify the feed ramp. That is not the proper solution, and modifying the frame is not going to do good things for the value. Try different mags. The extractor tension could be too tight. You can try chambering a dummy round without the extractor installed (will need to push it out with a dowel).
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 PM

Yep, mine has the same issue. It is heavy park'd on the feed ramp but a lot of my research says to not polish this ramp. I have purchased Wilson Combat, Metal Form, Colt Stock, MecGar, and Checkmate magazines. Still have the issue. Changed recoil spring, greased all contact points, changed extractor- no change. Mine only happens on the top round, and manually pushing the magazine up when chambering a round helps somewhat. I am to the point where I may polish the feed ramp...
Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
Yep, mine has the same issue. It is heavy park'd on the feed ramp but a lot of my research says to not polish this ramp. I have purchased Wilson Combat, Metal Form, Colt Stock, MecGar, and Checkmate magazines. Still have the issue. Changed recoil spring, greased all contact points, changed extractor- no change. Mine only happens on the top round, and manually pushing the magazine up when chambering a round helps somewhat. I am to the point where I may polish the feed ramp...
Changing the extractor isn’t going to help if the tension is off. They need to be properly bent to get the right tension. Also, changing the geometry of the extractor groove can help with feeding. There is a drawing somewhere on the internet which can be helpful (see post 2):

http://www.ksccw.com/forum/weapons-t...or-broken-1911

Last edited by Jakeroub; 10-18-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 PM

If you do anything to feed ramp use fine cratex point, just make it smooth. Don't remove metal or change angle.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 AM

This is how I tune extractors:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10261
Old 10-19-2019, 12:21 PM

I have the issue. It looks like I'm gradually getting brass buildup on the feed ramp so maybe that will help it. I always hate saying a gun has to be "broken in" but maybe it just needs to loosen up.

I've tried Wilson, WWII, cheap Numrich, and the included mags but I can't say that it doesn't occur on each. Seems to do it when filled to capacity and haven't tried downloading the mags yet since I can't get the problem to duplicate so I don't know if its a mag or a feed ramp issue.

Still love this gun.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonline View Post
I have the issue. It looks like I'm gradually getting brass buildup on the feed ramp so maybe that will help it. I always hate saying a gun has to be "broken in" but maybe it just needs to loosen up.

I've tried Wilson, WWII, cheap Numrich, and the included mags but I can't say that it doesn't occur on each. Seems to do it when filled to capacity and haven't tried downloading the mags yet since I can't get the problem to duplicate so I don't know if its a mag or a feed ramp issue.

Still love this gun.

You may be onto something. My FTF is worse the first shooting session after I clean the gun and seems to get better as I put more rounds through it. When I clean the gun, I soak the ramp with bore cleaner and let it soak to get the brass off. I may let it build up and test this theory. Also, my gun is nice and tight and does not rattle one bit even on a heavy shake. Very happy with my gun, just would like to find a solution for the first round FTF issue.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
The feed ramp shouldn’t really come into play if the pistol is setup correctly. Someone else on the forum posed that he had a gunsmith modify the feed ramp. That is not the proper solution, and modifying the frame is not going to do good things for the value. Try different mags. The extractor tension could be too tight. You can try chambering a dummy round without the extractor installed (will need to push it out with a dowel).
I was the one who had the issue, and it 100% was the proper solution. The issue persisted with multiple different mags from different manufacturers, different ammo manufacturers, different springs, and was not an extractor issue.

The gunsmith checked everything out and recommended addressing the feed ramp. Guess what, not a SINGLE FTRB or 3-point jam since...with well over 1k rounds through it, it shoots like a champ. It used to be at least one FTRB (usually on the 1st rd) of a new mag or 3 point jam per mag. It shoots like a 1911 should now, don't listen to folks on the internet who think they know the answer. Take it to a pro that you trust and have them take a look and do what they need to do to get it shooting like it should or contact the CMP who will more than likely get you squared away.

As for value, you really can't tell that anything was done to the ramp. Personally, I don't think the weapon has any value if it jams at least once a mag. In fact, now that it actually shoots - it is far more valuable to me, and really, that is all that matters.

Last edited by Delta_26; 10-24-2019 at 05:10 PM.