Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 AM

Default Question about my Op Rod D35382-1-SA

This oprod came on a 333k postwar rebuild. The oprod seems to have the mod cut. The rifle has an 11/44 SA barrel and a GAW stock with an EB rebuild stamp. The rifle has a great color, and has taken on the olive hue, except for the oprod.

The oprod has almost no finish left on the side. The only outwardly-visible park left is a little spot near the charging handle, about 0.3 inches. I was thinking of re-parking it, but I am quite aware it is an early -1-SA, in service April/1940 to January/1941.

What value does it have now, and what value would be lost if I sandblasted and reparked?

Pictures below
https://imgur.com/a/vRcNu2R
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM

Not to be harsh, but that rod is carrying a lot of baggage. Is the piston in spec? Unless you are serious about selling, perhaps you should just keep it and repark if you want, or leave as-is if you want and use as a shooter rod. I can't see you selling that for much of a premium whether reparked or not. The time when a lot of folks were restoring a lot of these guns has passed so demand is considerably down on WW2 op rods.

If someone has a Garand from that timeframe and just wants to pack it with correct parts as cheaply as possible, then I think finding that person would be your best bet for an average selling price, but I suspect it won't be easy.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 AM

From what I can see when the rifle is assembled the finish on the op rod matches the rest of the rifle reasonably well. If that is indeed the case I'd leave the op rod on that particular rifle.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

One more vote for keeping the finish as is. Also you could always replace it; a modified -1 isn't necessarily going to command a premium but you might still come out on top selling it and buying an alternative.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Well the question for me was whether I wanted to set the oprod off to the side in its current condition and buy a new one, or whether I wanted to repark it.

The idea is to not harm any potential value in the oprod, though I am not considering selling it at this point. As far as the finishes matching, well they are close-ish, but that is more of an effect of the camera flash. The oprod is actually paler than the olive receiver.

Would you all agree that reparking this oprod is not going to harm value?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I wouldn't do anything right now. The op rod and the receiver of your rifle appear to be coated with dried grease and/or oil. The true finish may look a lot different when the glop is cleaned off. I use a clean white cloth and some lacquer thinner to remove it. The white cloth will turn brown as you wipe the parts.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Refinishing the op rod will hurt its value to someone doing a restoration . Normally they will be looking for original finish or old arsenal finish. The cut hurts the value and IMO reparking will hurt it more
Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Well the question for me was whether I wanted to set the oprod off to the side in its current condition and buy a new one, or whether I wanted to repark it.

The idea is to not harm any potential value in the oprod, though I am not considering selling it at this point. As far as the finishes matching, well they are close-ish, but that is more of an effect of the camera flash. The oprod is actually paler than the olive receiver.

Parts prices are super, super low right now. 15 years ago this was a $600-700 oprod. Today is $200. Do whatever you want. There’s no value to hurt. An UNCUT -1 sold on this forum for $205 shipped just a few weeks back