Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Olympic cal. 30-06 ammo?

I purchased some CMP ammo locally, and included in the container was a couple of boxes of "Cal 30-06 Springfield" M2 Ball made by Olympic Industries. Made in Greece. Head stamped "02" with the Olympic lettering. Any issues for the M1 Garand?

Also, included in the group was one box of "POONG SAN MET. CO, LTD" 30-06 Ball M2 ammo. Head stamp is "PS" with "73". Korean? Corrosive? Issues for the Garand?

Just want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM

What do you mean by "purchased some CMP ammo locally" ??? Did you stop by the north or south store or did you buy some ammo where you are located that was purported to be "CMP ammo" ???
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkiller View Post
I purchased some CMP ammo locally, and included in the container was a couple of boxes of "Cal 30-06 Springfield" M2 Ball made by Olympic Industries. Made in Greece. Head stamped "02" with the Olympic lettering. Any issues for the M1 Garand?
Bad rep for QC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkiller View Post
Also, included in the group was one box of "POONG SAN MET. CO, LTD" 30-06 Ball M2 ammo. Head stamp is "PS" with "73". Korean? Corrosive? Issues for the Garand?
Noncorrosive Korean. Google the PMC recall for 1 or 2 lot numbers with brass defects.

Last edited by edlmann; 08-14-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: i kent spel
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Not purported....it IS CMP ammo....still in the boxes. Bought from a friend...locally. He had a few boxes of the other stuff. So just checking it out.

Thanks "edlmann" for the information on the PMC. Will look into the recall. Anybody know anything about the Greek Olympic stuff? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM

The Olympic ammo in 30-06 does not have a good reputation just like their 9mm doesn't. Very poor quality control to say the least. I don't think the company stayed in business very long.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Olympic Ammo was sold by CMP some time ago. A shooting friend has quite a bit of it, and it makes a very distinct booming sound when it is fired in his '03. It does not seem very accurate, and I personally would not use it in a Garand. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Olympic Ammo that I used was not very good as others have said. I did not think it was very uniform. Also, together with the loud bang, fire came out so that one guy asked if I was using a flame thrower. Had about 1% of the rounds that did not fire. Found that they did not have flash holes. I did shoot it in M-1 and saw no adverse effects.