Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Default Black Talon ammo prices?

Does original Black Talon ammo have any collector interest? Would would boxes (I believe 20 rd.) of .45 and 9mm and .357 go for? If it's worth, I think I can get a bunch of it next weekend.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 AM

You might look at some of the auction sites. Gunbroker et al. Some people tend to pay a premium for em.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 AM

Remember that Black Talon is nothing more than Ranger SXT with Winchester's proprietary Lubalox oxide coating. Since the Ranger is still being manufactured, I can't believe that Black Talon would have much of a premium except as an example of idiotic government interference in legitimate commerce.

Black Talon is also a couple of generations old as far as self defense ammo is concerned.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 AM

I have seen in the past year several full boxes of Black Talon .45 sell for $100 on GB. Yes it is the same as the Ranger SXT, but I guess people really like the name.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM

I sold a box of 20 BT For $40 a while back. 9mm I believe.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM

I had 50rds of 40 cal Black Talon that I gave to a friend.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks guys. I did look on Gunbroker and there were a lot of boxes for sale, but didn't seem to be any bids for the stuff. I heard that the SXT that replaced it stood for Same eXact Thing! I thought it might have some collector interest as there was all the media and political hype about "cop killer" bullets.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM

It does have some interest as a collectible because of the stupid "cop killer" thing but I think it's the kind of thing where, 1) not THAT many people collect ammo, and 2) collectors only need one box, and 3) they made quite a bit of it.

If you can get it cheap you might as well pick some up but I wouldn't count on being able to dump a ton of it...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

It got a big bad buildup in the 90s due to emergency room doctors describing it as devastating ammo, it worked as said, we were even banned from carring it in our duty guns at the time,, with several other brands on the market that except for the black color are basically the same, it's only value would be as a basic defense rd or short lived cartridge for a collection
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Very little difference in the SXT and the original Black Talon. Watch and listen to the video in the link below. The "big deal" was how sharp the "talons" were on the old BT round. I remember a cute, "talking head" on the nightly news saying how "cruel" the BT was with the "sharp points on it".
I had iced tea coming out my nose at the dinner table over that one !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQ1E8FGc4w

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA