Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Most builders, especially in snowy country, remove 2-4 coils off the ejector spring. The brass is both lighter AND shorter, and there is no need, unlike in combat, to keep it away from under foot, far away.

Back in the sixties, my first specimen in the "new" 7.62x51 tended to toss brass pretty much straight to my right at extremely high velocity. And way farther than I wanted it!!

While getting the lighter brass away from the rifle is fine, also, if it lands in snow or long grass, well, it's inconvenient to say the least.

Yes, folks next to you are also often unhappy and sometimes burned.

Trimming the spring has been S.O.P. with 'smiths for more than fifty years.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 11-23-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM

My 308 NM throws brass at about 5 right at the scorekeeper for the guy on my right. I always give a warning but never saw a need to start screwing around with the rifle to change it. 308 brass is shorter and ejection starts sooner as the bolt is retracted thus it isn't impacted and thrown forward like 30-06 brass is by the op rod. Nature of the beast. My Navy, with a larger gas port and faster bolt speed, throws brass a very long way mostly to 3-4. It doesn't make the shooter next to me very happy for sure but, still, I don't intend bubba changing things to make others happy. Hell, my Remington 742 semi-auto 30-06 tosses brass in about the same area as my Navy, just not half way down the shooting lane. :-)

One guy at a match last year came in shorts to the match. He set up to my right and I told him it wasn't a good idea in the shorts. He said' "no worry". Well, in the middle of rapids a piece of my brass (about round 6 or so and HOT) rolled under his leg and when he shifted to reload he rolled on top of it with his leg. I swear I remember smelling burning flesh and easily heard him holler and yelp and &%$#@. I'll bet he still has that 30-06 imprint on his thigh.

Caldwell makes a large brass catcher that's lightweight, collapsible and portable. I use one clamped to my shooting stool top when I varmint hunt by attaching a plate to the base. With a big enough C-Clamp it also attaches to the shooting bench at the range.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/77...8aAnerEALw_wcB

Last edited by lapriester; 11-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
...My Navy, with a larger gas port and faster bolt speed, throws brass a very long way mostly to 3-4....
I had my hands on that 308 in Wyoming! Shoulda been mine, but ya beat me to it.

My 308 I made with a Wilson Arms barrel from Jim T. shoots like a dream and throws the brass almost 10 feet at 5:00 when single round loaded, when enbloc loaded they go just as far about 4:00. He mentioned losing brass in the snow. I had same problem in the Nevada sagebrush.

Last edited by DJEinConcord; 11-23-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEinConcord View Post
I had my hands on that 308 in Wyoming! Shoulda been mine, but ya beat me to it.

My 308 I made with a Wilson Arms barrel from Jim T. shoots like a dream and throws the brass almost 10 feet at 5:00. He mentioned losing brass in the snow. I had same problem in the Nevada sagebrush.
HA,ha and it was the only Winchester on the table too. I spotted it the day before over in the corner of the table. Didn't you get a beautiful Special Service Grade HRA there? Ever find a correct stock for it?

Hell DJ, I have problems finding the brass from my Navy at the range....and it has a cement floor. Throws it about 20 feet without the net. That net has paid for itself, especially out in an alfalfa field with my AR's shooting 600-800 rounds a day at critters. When you have a rotating shooting table you throw brass 360 degrees.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
HA,ha and it was the only Winchester on the table too. I spotted it the day before over in the corner of the table. Didn't you get a beautiful Special Service Grade HRA there? Ever find a correct stock for it?

Hell DJ, I have problems finding the brass from my Navy at the range....and it has a cement floor. Throws it about 20 feet without the net. That net has paid for itself, especially out in an alfalfa field with my AR's shooting 600-800 rounds a day at critters. When you have a rotating shooting table you throw brass 360 degrees.

Here is my 308 Winnie with the barrel from Jim T.

The 22 inch gong is real small from 600 yards. 175 CCs over 41 grains of 4166 really reaches out there. They also make it to 1000.

I still have the HRA Special with the LMR barrel in the CMP stock from Cody. It is my match rifle for M1 matches.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEinConcord View Post

Here is my 308 Winnie with the barrel from Jim T.

The 22 inch gong is real small from 600 yards. 175 CCs over 41 grains of 4166 really reaches out there. They also make it to 1000.

I still have the HRA Special with the LMR barrel in the CMP stock from Cody. It is my match rifle for M1 matches.
About the size of the 8-ring on the MR-1. Paint it black, it will show up better.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 11-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
About the size of the 8-ring on the MR-1. Paint it black, it will show up better.

It was painted black. Here is the front.

The shadows from the front were too harsh for photos.

Last edited by DJEinConcord; 11-24-2017 at 03:18 PM.