Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM

Yea, I understand the thinking, but damn, there real M1 carbines.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM

I completely agree and I have now and have previously owned and shot an import. My current shooter has Blue Sky plastered on the barrel and it’s as good as any I have owned or have now.

I think it sort-of works out. When you see an import carbine for sale, the price is generally lower than an unmarked gun and you can get a very good shooter at a discount. Everything comes into play though and condition is everything. I would purchase an import marked gun in better shape than a non-import gun for a reduced price any day.

There are thousands and thousands of import marked guns in the market, not just carbines.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:56 PM

I bought my Underwood from a gunsmith who was about to go
out of business and the stock had been sanded pretty badly
and he said he was going to work on it later. I asked him what
he wanted for it the way it was, and he said $260. I jumped
on it right away. Picked up a really nice Underwood stock at a gun show for $50 bucks and ended up with a great carbine for cheep.
Denny
Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 AM

In 2009 there was a great time warp and thousands of 1940ís M1 Carbines were released to the CMP. I had always wanted one and quick as a wink ordered a Service Grade Inland Motors for $495. When it came it was labeled as a Bavarian and dated 8-44. This would have meant it was never issued to a GI, but was sent to Steiermark, Austria where it was in storage for 64 years. They took such good care of it there are no dings and only minuscule rust and cosmoline left to clean up. It even came with a certificate, which means I can send it in if it ever needs repair. Sure wished I had ordered a few more.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
In 2009 there was a great time warp and thousands of 1940ís M1 Carbines were released to the CMP. I had always wanted one and quick as a wink ordered a Service Grade Inland Motors for $495. When it came it was labeled as a Bavarian and dated 8-44. This would have meant it was never issued to a GI, but was sent to Steiermark, Austria where it was in storage for 64 years. They took such good care of it there are no dings and only minuscule rust and cosmoline left to clean up. It even came with a certificate, which means I can send it in if it ever needs repair. Sure wished I had ordered a few more.
???
Old 01-14-2020, 10:17 AM

The devaluation due to import marks is one of the dumbest things about carbine collecting. The mark is just evidence of another chapter in the firearms history.

Last edited by milwaukeeshaker; 01-14-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
The devaluation due to import marks is one of the dumbest things about carbine collecting. The mark is just evidence of another chapter in the firearms history.
Shows without a doubt it was over seas.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
When it came it was labeled as a Bavarian and dated 8-44. This would have meant it was never issued to a GI, but was sent to Steiermark, Austria where it was in storage for 64 years.

It even came with a certificate, which means I can send it in if it ever needs repair. Sure wished I had ordered a few more.
I learn something new every day.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

All things equal a cmp certificate rifle will have sell for a premium over a carbine with no paper. And a equal carbine with a import mark will sell for less.
As determined by the logic of the market.
Old Today, 11:21 AM

CMP certificate = import marked carbine, which is also a "mixmaster". This makes the carbine more valuable? But a CAI or Blue Sky mark devalues the carbine???? Go figure. What a bunch of baloney!

Last edited by milwaukeeshaker; Today at 11:30 AM.