Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Well, I decided that to really complete these replica rifles I really needed to add a fake M14 selector lock, as seen on USGI M21s. I couldn't find anyone who could cut a proper M14 selector switch on my 2 SAI stocks...so I had two USGI "big red" walnut stocks with straight grain professional refinished for both rifles. (One stock has the S and is a Springfield, but the other one is blank under the buttplate, but cut is identical so I think its a late Springfield too).

This weekend I added the faux M14 selector switch/selector lock, and so they are now aesthetically correct. I decided to share 2 more pics of these XM21/M21 tribute rifles for anyone interested.

The last item will be having these stocks routed and glass bedded to the actions, but my local gunsmith has about 5 or 6 months of current work , so that will have to wait until the spring of 2018, but in the meantime here's 2 more pics of these XM21 and M21 replicas, but this time with more correct aesthetics.

...and since I had it out of the safe and my rifle display stand holds 3 rifles, I decided to take a picture of the U.S. Army's predecessor to the XM21/M21, the M1D Garand sniper rifle. While most M1Ds were outfitted with the M84 (2.2X scope) circa 1953-1969 when the M1D was the standard US Army sniping rifle, the military did purchase 1800 Weaver K4 scopes (4X power) with a 1" scope mount circa 1964-1965. The Weaver K4 equipped M1D shown is the less common M1D variant that I have in my collection (Its a CMP Service Grade M1D). (Note: I have the leather cheek piece for the M1D but it is not currently installed on the rifle, just the T37 flash hider). I do shoot the M1D from time to time, and I enjoy taking it to the range.

...so this picture represents the three variants of the official U.S. Army sniper rifles used from roughly 1953 until 1988 (although the late M21w/ ART II scopes continued to solider on into the early 1990s in National Guard units, etc). Just an fyi picture for anyone interested.

Last edited by Random Guy; 11-23-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 AM

A little earlier than the M21, but still fun to shoot.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
Well, I decided that to really complete these replica rifles I really needed to add a fake M14 selector lock, as seen on USGI M21s. I couldn't find anyone who could cut a proper M14 selector switch on my 2 SAI stocks...so I had two USGI "bed red" walnut stocks with straight grain professional refinished for both rifles. (One stock has the S and is a Springfield, but the other one is blank under the buttplate, but cut is identical so I think its a late Springfield too).

This weekend I added the faux M14 selector switch/selector lock, and so they are now aesthetically correct. I decided to share 2 more pics of these XM21/M21 tribute rifles for anyone interested.

[.
nice,

I have one each of those scope setups myself,
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM

Lyman, you shouldn’t put a post up there like that - without also putting up a picture....hint, hint :-)
Old 11-23-2017, 03:35 PM

RG, you really have done a great job of replicating those rare M14 sniper rifles. I would be proud to have them in my collection.

Your research has paid off, just sticking an old scope on a rifle and calling it an m21 is a bit like sticking a racing saddle on a mule and calling it a race horse.

Well done sir.

Ren
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
Lyman, you shouldn’t put a post up there like that - without also putting up a picture....hint, hint :-)
give me a few days,, or weeks,

been a bit busy, and will need to dig them out the safe