Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Interesting?? Rule Change...

Long story: Eastern Games 2016. Being a minimalist, I don't use a shooting stool and rest the muzzle on the ground (actually a hat or towel) during offhand. Anything different will light up a range officer. We all get get to hear his opinion on my technique and an arbitrary ruling: "that sort of thing won't be allowed". Now: while there are multiple (and) obvious errors in the rule book that have been there for years, the RO obviously gets a new rule for 2017 to stop my deviant behavior from spreading. "3.1.9 ...muzzles up or downrange at all times. ...muzzles may not rest or be supported on a shooting stool....at any time" Now, I'm scratching my head. The idea of resting the muzzle on a shooting stool seems....well, odd. I'm also wondering if someone (even me) might shoot themself in the forehead with a M4 carbine.....but there is a rule to prevent that: "may not be loaded" so that can't happen. Now it's 2018 and I find a new rule book in the hut at CP. The new rule 3.1.9(underlined for 2018): "...muzzles must be pointed up, downrange or down... ...muzzles or butt-stocks may be rested on a shooting stool...." I'm still scratching my head over this. Nothing about resting muzzles on the ground... Years ago a friend was resting his muzzle on his toes (actually his boot) at CP. There was a discussion and an ajuctication ending with just a warning that "it might not be a good practice". That's why I used a hat. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-07-2018, 02:06 PM

I'll be honest:
-I'm not sure what your point is.
-I might write the Rules Committee over this one though and complain (and be ignored but whatever).

I was always taught and followed the "Laser Rule." That is never let the muzzle cover something you are not willing to destroy.
So putting your muzzle on your foot, face, stool or others is an accident waiting to happen.
So muzzles need to be either down range or up in the air, atleast then when you pop one off it won't ricochet all over the firing line.

Unfortunately the safety rules need to overlap since rules get ignored.
I've watched ALOT of safety violations over the yrs on the line and getting shot because some yum-yum just had to put his rifle muzzle down besides me........... would irritate me alot.............

In fact just this year at Perry....... some yum-yum cranked off a round about 5yds in front of the line, heard the odd report, saw the dust come over the line and knew exactly what happened.......

Last edited by Gewehr43; 08-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM

As I read this I envision the OP putting a hat on the group and putting the muzzle in the hat, butt up with a hand on the butt. If a ND happens it keeps the round on the range, it puts a hole in the OP's hat or towel and maybe kicks some dirt up. If pointed up then the round leave the range, not good.

This is assuming that the OP has a round chambered, which he most likely will not, but we treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see too much of an issue with that.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM

What match/relay had the round go off so close to the line?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
As I read this I envision the OP putting a hat on the group and putting the muzzle in the hat, butt up with a hand on the butt. If a ND happens it keeps the round on the range, it puts a hole in the OP's hat or towel and maybe kicks some dirt up. If pointed up then the round leave the range, not good.

This is assuming that the OP has a round chambered, which he most likely will not, but we treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see too much of an issue with that.

Well you're assuming alot:
-that the round goes straight down.
-there is no ricocheting of the bullet or rocks etc.
-that you aren't shooting at places like the Talladega Marksmanship Park that has a concrete floor.
-that the shooter actually has control of the rifle, which if you've been to matches, some are not.
-that if the bullet were to leave the range, that is some how worse than the shooter or another on the line getting wounded.
-that somehow having the rifle muzzle down is better (more relaxing? less taxing? more efficient?) than butt down.
-that some yum-yum won't get something stuck in his muzzle and crank off a round and wonder what could have happened?

I'll go with the laser rule........ it seems alot more realistic...............

Last edited by Gewehr43; 08-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
What match/relay had the round go off so close to the line?

It was the P100. I was Viale R5 on #110, so it was around 107. I'm a lefty and so watched all the commotion afterwards.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 PM

From my days shooting small bore in the late 1950's we were always instructed to keep the muzzle up or downrange. Still do. Never want to chance something happening with the muzzle end. I rest the butt on a stool, chair or my boot, but never the muzzle.
Only time I see that now is with shotgunners shooting break actions. I think they make little "tabs" attached to the shoe to catch the muzzle. Haven't seen one in .30 cal.

Mike.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 PM

My point... Well: I understand why CMP would like everyone to do everything the same way and safely. That's fine with me and I will go with the shooting stool. I find it curious that they would change the rule for 2018 to allow resting the muzzle on the stool. Write the rules commitee if you want to, I don't much care. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Well you're assuming alot:
-that the round goes straight down.
-there is no ricocheting of the bullet or rocks etc.
-that you aren't shooting at places like the Talladega Marksmanship Park that has a concrete floor.
-that the shooter actually has control of the rifle, which if you've been to matches, some are not.
-that if the bullet were to leave the range, that is some how worse than the shooter or another on the line getting wounded.
-that somehow having the rifle muzzle down is better (more relaxing? less taxing? more efficient?) than butt down.
-that some yum-yum won't get something stuck in his muzzle and crank off a round and wonder what could have happened?

I'll go with the laser rule........ it seems alot more realistic...............
I guess that some yum-yum ********ed in your Wheaties...

Yeah I made a few assumptions. Itís hard to cover every possibility of every situation but this being the internet and all, some yum-yum will pretend he can.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
My point... Well: I understand why CMP would like everyone to do everything the same way and safely. That's fine with me and I will go with the shooting stool. I find it curious that they would change the rule for 2018 to allow resting the muzzle on the stool. Write the rules commitee if you want to, I don't much care. Good Shooting. ...
.....seems like just good common sense.
Keep shooting.
Mike.