Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Default M1A Springfield- Standard vs Loaded - CMP Matches

I tried to read the rules and from what I understand the Loaded M1A comes with the following upgrades from the standard model:

- NM Barrel
- NM Sights but no hooded rear
- NM Trigger

I also did a search and I believe these upgrades make the Loaded illegal for CMP Modern Military Matches. Is the barrel and sights a problem or just the trigger? I ask as would dropping another standard trigger group in a way to make a Loaded model MM compliant?

I am trying to figure out which way to go as I am leaving my Garand 100% as Issued but thinking of doing a M1A Loaded to shoot NRA Highpower matches but I have a tricked out AR for that so trying to figure out just where an M1A would fit in.

I am sure you guys get what I am trying to ask. I may also look at an M14 type build including one of the welded receivers we have been going back and forth on but I am not sure where to start.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:03 AM

In my experience rifles for Modern Military are not scrutinized all that thoroughly. If the rifle makes weight, and the trigger is > 4.5#, you will probably not be prevented from competing.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Cool

Ahhhh, The Springfield Match is a 50rd fun Match fired at 300yds. It was designed too get the old rifles out of the closet into the sun and back on the firing line.

As far as I know the rules that govern the rifle are the same as it is for the M14/M1A Service rifle. The strict exception is that you must use a Springfield M1A rifle (it is there Match, after all) if your going too get any of the bobbles & trinkets provided you should win or make the podium .

NM sights
NM barrel
NM trigger

No problem.

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 05-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:17 PM

They now have Unlimited Modern Military. Guys that want to shoot an easy "games" match, but only have their Service Rifle (AR, M14 or M1) which does not comply with Modern Military rifles rules.

CMP wont, and shouldnt turn away a paying customer.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
They now have Unlimited Modern Military. Guys that want to shoot an easy "games" match, but only have their Service Rifle (AR, M14 or M1) which does not comply with Modern Military rifles rules.

CMP wont, and shouldnt turn away a paying customer.
I have arrived at several CMP matches with rifles that were "close"; and I knew it when I picked them for the match, including bringing an M1A to a Garand Match. A few times the match director looked at me like a wounded puppy and explained that I wouldn't be eligible for awards.
Like that was all that was holding me back......
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM

In order to pass inspection in the Modern Military match...

No NM medium weight barrel

No NM sights. They do look at the front sight and if it's marked "NM 062" it's out (Springfield puts this on all its guns so watch for them).

If it's a standard trigger group (parts) and makes weight, it's good. Never had one disqualified because it was "cleaned up".

I've only shot the matches with a traditional wood stock (to make weight) so I can't say if other materials would be allowed. I would assume a USGI fiberglass would pass but not one of the modern synthetics.

The other thing to watch is the overall weight of the rifle: 10.0 lbs
Old 05-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wckz45 View Post
In order to pass inspection in the Modern Military match...

No NM medium weight barrel

No NM sights. They do look at the front sight and if it's marked "NM 062" it's out (Springfield puts this on all its guns so watch for them).

If it's a standard trigger group (parts) and makes weight, it's good. Never had one disqualified because it was "cleaned up".

I've only shot the matches with a traditional wood stock (to make weight) so I can't say if other materials would be allowed. I would assume a USGI fiberglass would pass but not one of the modern synthetics.

The other thing to watch is the overall weight of the rifle: 10.0 lbs
Thanks! The difference in price between standard and loaded is only $100 so to go with the Stadard just to be able to shoot Modern Class doesn’t make much sense I guess. If they allowed the barrel I could swap out the front sight and possibly the rear as well as the trigger but it gets to the point where a Garand is half the price so why bother?

I need to build up an AR-15 Rifle with a Hov Profile barrel too as that would be legal as well. All of my AR rifles are either NM or HBARs so too heavy hence why I was considering my options.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM

I honestly think that a medium weight barrel and NM trigger will pass inspection. The medium weight barrel isn't heavy enough to disqualify the rifle based on weight. The NM trigger is still a stock trigger just lightened up - as long as it is 4.5 lbs or greater it will be OK. When it comes to NM sights, that is a different matter. However, one can easily replace the NM sights with standard GI sights and be OK. When AR's with Geissele triggers pass inspection, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the barrel and the trigger. The NM sights are obvious match modifications.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 PM

They do check for a standard/medium/heavy profile barrel and anything but the standard is not "legal".

Trigger has never been an issue. I use a standard USGI trigger group that has been cleaned up and makes weight.

Buy a M1-A Standard model and swap the front sight and everything else should be okay as long as the overall weight is within limits. They do weigh the complete rifle minus the magazine and sling.

Reduced rear apertures are okay (same as Garand) just not hooded.

The only thing I have not asked about is the stock material. I shoot a USGI profile walnut. The military issued a fiberglass stock so I would hope that it is legal (although heavy). I have stayed away from oversized wood, polymer, carbon fiber and laminate since they were not issued so would not be in the spirit of the match.

The downside to this rifle is you compete against the scoped AR-15 models even though they are in a different class, cut scores are only established for the match overall.

Of course, everything goes out the window when it comes to the "Unlimited" class.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM

"They" are not consistent at inspection, and especially for MM rifles......and that is somewhat of an understatement. However, I passed inspection with a medium weight Fulton barrel many times. They never checked barrel profile, told me you could not make the old weight limit with a medium weight barrel, but I could and did. Good Shooting. ....