Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM

Default Rifle Grenade Sights?

I was talking with a fellow collector the other day and was told that the sights for rifle grenade launchers were never actually fielded in WWII, is their any truth behind this? There are tons of ďNOSĒ 1944 sights on eBay and online vendors, and Iíve definitely seen stocks from the CMP come with the disks, or at least holes from the disks.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:06 PM

It is difficult to find a photo of the launcher sight installed on a stock from WW2 or Korea. Besides basic training stocks which used the sight for training, you can still find a stock that has the holes.

Very awkward to carry and use in the field or dense woods.

Never seen it installed on the M14 stock but it could have been used. Basic training with the new M14 never had rifle grenade practice
Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
It is difficult to find a photo of the launcher sight installed on a stock from WW2 or Korea. Besides basic training stocks which used the sight for training, you can still find a stock that has the holes.

Very awkward to carry and use in the field or dense woods.

Never seen it installed on the M14 stock but it could have been used. Basic training with the new M14 never had rifle grenade practice

I havenít been able to locate any photos unfortunately. I just always assumed because of the 1944 date on them, and the wide spread use of rifle grenades, that they were actually used. But lack of photos and info makes me start to lean towards the idea that they WERENíT used.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM

have gotten stocks from the cmp with the sight disc attached to the stock..have seen WWII pics of guys with the grenade attached as they were clearing buildings and such..
Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM

carrying a rifle with the RG sight in place would be a major PINTA. snagging and banging on everything

Even with the sight dismounted, the base still attached to the stock would be a real finger ripper.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:38 PM

I have read in the old GCA journals that the Army in Europe ran short on grenade launchers because the G.I.'s were disposing of them after use. Nothing was said of sights which leads me to believe they were never used much if at all. Eddie
Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 AM

The web sling was used to get a proper angle for firing fragmentation rifle grenades from the M1 rifle. Anti-tank grenades were almost always head on, point blank. TMs of the day show you how to prepare your sling for shooting rifle grenades. The M1903 Springfield's standard rear sight was used for grenades. The M1 carbine only shot signals so no sight was required... Not much call for the M15 grenade sight.