Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 AM

Default How Was The 40-X Shot Back in The Day?

For reference, I am referring to the 40-XB heavy barrel (700 action) rifle... Today, shooters will tell you that the 40-X is nothing more than a bench gun. Due to the size and weight, it is not recommended for positional disciplines like prone, sitting or standing.

So back in the day, how was the 40-X utilized?

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-15-2019, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=DRAGON64;1876942 . . . . .Today, shooters will tell you that the 40-X is nothing more than a bench gun. . . . . . .[/QUOTE]

This is a “modern-day” mis-conception . . . .

I was “present” back in the day, and I saw, first-hand, those Remington’s on the firing line . . . right along with the Winchester M52 heavy barrelled (and some bull-barrelled) target rifles, competing in position shooting!

What you heard from today’s shooters, is just part ‘n parcel of the “dumbing-down” of America . . . .right up there with police departments now using 9mm autos so that female (and some male) officers can qualify with their sidearms!

Yeah . . .I’m mighty glad to be on the “down-slope” of my life!

Last edited by JimF; 10-15-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
This is a “modern-day” mis-conception . . . .

I was “present” back in the day, and I saw, first-hand, those Remington’s on the firing line . . . right along with the Winchester M52 heavy barrelled (and some bull-barrelled) target rifles, competing in position shooting!

What you heard from today’s shooters, is just part ‘n parcel of the “dumbing-down” of America . . . .right up there with police departments now using 9mm autos so that female (and some male) officers can qualify with their sidearms!

Yeah . . .I’m mighty glad to be on the “down-slope” of my life!
Ok..... let's not immediately side track this into goofiness.
So instead...….. so what you are saying is generations past accepted the barrel- front-heaviness of the rifle?
How did they compensate for that?
How did YOU shoot it? How did YOU compensate for the front-heavy balance?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Assumed gear for shooting the 40-X in small-bore prone would be; a coat, glove, hand stop, sling and shooting mat.

As being front heavy; what are the best method for sitting? And is standing out of the question?

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
Assumed gear for shooting the 40-X in small-bore prone would be; a coat, glove, hand stop, sling and shooting mat.

As being front heavy; what are the best method for sitting? And is standing out of the question?

Hook buttplates were popular for 3P.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:14 PM

I was a high power service rifle shooter back in the late eighties and nineties and the high power match rifle shooters were shooting the long heavy barrel bolt action rifles and they most always bested the service rifle shooters. I just looked at the match bulletin from the 1990 national matches and match rifle shooters were #1 and #2 and the winner beat the high service rifle shooter by seventeen points.

Positions are similar except the kneeling position that small bore shooters use and then along came the AR15 and the M16 and things changed dramatically. This was not smallbore but people did shoot those long barreled heavy rifles very successfully.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
? . . . .
How did YOU shoot it? How did YOU compensate for the front-heavy balance?
I shot it the same way everyone else did . . . . .with a TIGHT sling, glove, and shooting coat.

The tight sling pulls the rifle backwards, into your shoulder . . . .thereby stabilizing what you call “front-heavy balance.” (A coarse-checkered butt plate helps also.)

O’course, in off-hand, it WAS barrel-heavy, so . . . .

Whenever possible, I would shoot the off-hand stage FIRST . . . .while I was relatively “fresh”.

I learned this little trick back about 1950, from Elihue Lyman (of Lyman Gunsite/ Blue Trail Range).

The Ct. State high power matches, at 200 yds., started at 8:00 A.M. . . . .

At that “unGodly hour” while everyone was starting their course of fire prone, there was Elihue, starting in the off-hand position.

After the match, I asked him why he shot the course that way, and he “matter-of-factly” told me, “Because I get tired easily.”

Made sense to me, so I followed his lead!

Worked just fine for me for many years.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 AM

Thank you Jim, very nice post on how you shot the 40-X (or similar long rifle).

I have one or two 40-X's over the years (they are gone now), and I am looking at putting one back in my line-up. My quest for an accurate 22lr actually led me to the NRL22 matches, and the more I researched 22lr and accurate rifles, I always ended up back at the 40-X. Unfortunately, due to the size and single-shot feature of the 40-X, it is not well suited to shoot the NRL22 format. Incidentally, there is a 22lr rifle, which borrows the Rem 40-X/M700 footprint that is perfect for NRL22, but they are pricey as all get out. That rifle is the Vudoo V22; pretty nice option for run and gun matches...

But I digress, thanks all for the input!

Old 10-16-2019, 10:03 AM

I shot a .22LR 40XB heavy barrel for 4 years on my University ROTC rifle team in in 25yd 3P competition. Used a GI green canvas shooting coat, leather weak hand shooting glove, adjustable hook butt plate, and M1907 leather sling sections. We only used half of the slings and hooked into the rail mounted front hand stop. My ROTC Detachment SGM found a walnut thumbhole stock blank that I finished and installed on my 40XB. Wish I had the foresight to take the stock w/ me when I graduated...

I did manage to pick up one of the U.S. marked 40XB's that CMP sold a few years ago, but it wasn't my ROTC rifle. Sold my M12 when I found the 40XB.

Airborne,

Mark

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 10-16-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:48 AM

In college I used a Remington 37 ( forerunner of the 40-x) for small bore competition. Even got to try out for the Olympic team with it. With proper technique the weight is not an issue. Heck some people shoot AR rifles today for service rifle that are heavier than that old 37!