Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Default kimber 82g

Has anyone tried any of the boyds stocks for the Kimber 82g? I was just curious on fit/feel of them. I like my Kimber but man, those stocks are a hunk of wood.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:32 PM

The issue stock IS heavy, but so is the rifle itself with that huge barrel. My Kimber 82 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. With a scope on it, I could place all the shots in the x ring! I like the original stock because it can be adjusted using a Freeland butt that I installed, and has the rail for a hand rest. The hand rest I added has a swivel for a sling.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I really like mine too. My issue is not so much the weight, but the bulkiness of the stock, it's almost as big around as a utility pole. I just noticed in the last month that boyds has several styles of replacement stocks and I know a lot of the issued stocks came with the dreaded box cutter scratch(mine did not(luck)). Thought maybe someone on the forums might have bought a boyds and tried it out, guess not.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 AM

I like my 52G even with the box cutter scratch. Reminds me of why I suggested the Marine Corps for one of my sons.
RVN 67-68
Old 12-29-2019, 03:25 PM

I think there were at least two versions of the Kimber model 82 - a sport version and the military match version which has a much thicker barrel. Are the Boyd's stocks inletted for the thick barrel? And are they of a sport style, or are they an adjustable target type?
Old 12-30-2019, 06:07 AM

Boyd's website lists barrel channel at 61/64th. there is several styles available, a couple of the stocks are adjustable cheek weld and length of pull.

Last edited by arn; 12-30-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:25 PM

I just put a Boyds At-One thumb-hole, walnut stock together with my 82 G that I've been using to shoot 4 position since 2009. The action dropped right into the stock, I took it last night, sighted it in with five shots and finished the night with a 96.25% average over four positions. I'd say it worked good enough.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:41 AM

Talking

Thank you woodwright- that is exactly the info I needed to read. I was also hung up between at one and at one thumbhole. I think I'll go with thumbhole. Shooting at weekly 100ft offhand meat shoots, Good time.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Or you can have the original Kimber stock modified
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 AM

I went with the thumb-hole in walnut and added the target fore-grip they sell as an accessory. I'm happy with the set up.

Be advised you'll probably have to add a 1/4" washer under the rear trigger guard screw hole. I think Boyd's leaves room for bedding and if you don't fill it with something the rear action screw drags on the bolt. They do supply a screw for the front pillar. The original will be too long. Make sure the set screw in the dovetail block on the action is tight after you center it up in the stock.

Other than that it's about a ten minute job to swap it out.