• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broomhandle
    • Feb 2016

Havlin Mossburg mag. -problem?

Hi All,

I bought a few Mossburg parts from Havlin Sales. I know they are tops.

This time I bought some parts for my new to me 44 US. The rifle came with one original mag which operates well.

The two new mags look the same, but have some slop when they lock up.
    If I put a bit of up pressure on the mag all the rounds slip smoothly into the barrel.
    If the mag hangs down, it will jam the bullet!
    I'm sure there is a simple fix. Can some one help me with this minor issue. I'll try to get Havlin on the phone tomorrow.

Thanks for any help,
    broom
  • broomhandle
    • Feb 2016

Hi All,

A quick call to Havlin Sales & the minor problem was solved!
    Can't say enough about their knowledge, personal service & fast shipping.

Apparently the mags needed a little tweek in my rifle! They worked perfectly in my pal's two (2)Mossburg 44US rifles.
    The two high quality Havlin repro. mags are now 100% functional in my rifle!

Merry Christmas to all,
    broom

Comment

• yooper
      • Oct 2009

Do you mind sharing what the "tweek" was? TIA

Comment

• broomhandle
        • Feb 2016

Hi yooper,

In my case,the bends on the new mag's were not as sharp as my original mag. They worked well on my pal's (2)rifles out of the box.

With the more square bend,the mag seems to have less slop.
        I just squared them up a tad more, about 5 /7 degrees in a vise. They preformed better. I had less mis-feed's with a variety of bullet shapes.

I slightly bent the back of the lips (rim)on the mag open about .005 more. (bullet sits a tad higher) Measured (actual increase) with a feeler gauge. It seems to feed smoother & have more positive case pick up. I did not think it would matter, but it seems to work to perfection! I fired 200 rounds total with the two new mags!

Are you the same Yooper that has a site on firearms & slings? Great site!

broom

Comment

• yooper
          • Oct 2009

Hi Broom,

Thanks for that info. No, not the same Yooper; didn't know about that site.

Comment

• broomhandle
            • Feb 2016

Hi Yooper,

I'm NOT a expert on Mossburg's by any standard.

My gunsmith looked it over, he just told me to look for a more pointy bullet. His thinking is if it's not broke (using the original standard mag- that fed well) He did not wish to start adjusting the metal feed bar that the mags lock on to.

I shot it a bit more, but the occasional jams (new mags)were a issue to me. I am a retired Tool & Die maker, so I have some experience with fouled up machinery. I knew it was a minor issue.
            I sent a note to Havlin Sales & they also mentioned a more pointy bullet & minor tweek's to the mag. I measures both new mags & the original. Just did one tweek at a time & shot the rifle.
            If you think you have to start fooling with your rifle,give Havlin Sales a call BEFORE you start. It's easy to fool with the wrong part & make a problem worse!

Be well & safe,
            broom

Comment

• broomhandle
              • Feb 2016

http://yooperj.com/SKS.htm

The guy has some good info,He was a help to me a few times!
              broom

Comment

• yooper
                • Oct 2009

Hi Broom,

I've serviced my M44's years ago and function tested them as well. And I bought mags from Havlins back then. Most of the mags worked fine but a few mags a/o the "angle bar" that the mag slides onto had to be "tweeked". Recently however, someone asked me about servicing a few he has and he does not have any mags for his so I will have to buy them if he brings the guns around. So that's the main reason I was asking.

Now that you provided the link, I've been to Yooper John's site in the past, but it's been a long time. Agree it's an interesting site.

Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                X