Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM

I’m not an M1 collector, but if I was buying one, I would be hesitant to buy one that gauges a 3 on the muzzle and is that mix matched.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. I will be patient for now. I may either part it out or list it on,gunbroker.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM

Looks like a decent FG, I think possibly the light colored wood might turn some guys off a little. It is a mix of parts like so many of the rifles coming out of the CMP and guys just won't pay much more than $850-$900 for these. If there were some other WRA parts you could maybe get what you are asking. One thing I have done with a couple I decided were excess to my needs was to take them to my LGS, he seems to be able to get $1000 out of most any Garand. Lots of people who won't bother with the CMP or online auction sites will pay that just to have a Garand. He charges me 10% so I can still get $900 on one I paid FG price for. I know LGS are different so depending on what they would charge for commission you may or may not make out. I don't know if you will have a lot of luck on GB, I know I never have. I have found if you set the starting price at what you need to get there won't be any bids, if you set it low it might sell but you lose money. Unfortunately you might do best simply parting it out. I think the market for one like this is saturated right now. Good luck.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 AM

There is valid psychology to why you should price at $995, not five dollars more.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:28 AM

The market is very soft right now. I would say stuff is selling 20-25% lower than where it was two or three years ago. In some cases even more, in some cases less. With the presidential election in 2020, it is going to heat up a bit in about six months. Then it will either settle down again next December or go absolutely crazy for a while (remember what happened in 2008/2009).

As for your Winchester, it looks like a nice field grade but the stock is hurting its appeal. Any old field grade USGI stock for $50-75 would look the part and attract more buyers. That stock should be on a service grade or other rifle with fresh looking park.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
There is valid psychology to why you should price at $995, not five dollars more.
Thank you. I have applied your advice.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:42 AM

If you are interested, I've got a walnut stock set from Dupage that I'd be willing to trade for that one.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Nice rifle, I think it might be more appealing with a darker stock as previously mentioned.

Maybe even a commercial CMP stock, I love the stock that's on it, but not really for a WWII Winchester.

Do you also have it on Calguns.net, I cant believe it hasn't sold since your so close to LA if its on calguns.net Personally I'd stay where you are on the price, at least for Ca sales. and wait it out a bit, if you need to sell quicker, Id try a different stock and see if it makes any difference.

Honestly when I first saw it for sale the first thing that I thought was it didn't look right in that stock.

I have extra CMP and Dupage trading walnut stocks, if you wanted to trade straight across for your blond set I'd do that, or if you wanted to try to put one of my walnut sets on it and take pics, offering the rifle in buyers choice of stock, for shipping I could send you one, then just send me back which ever one is left when it sells? just a thought.

I also have some GI replacement stocks I might be able to trade as well, but Id have to see what I have and clean it up to be presentable, still in the dark oily crud it came with on the rifle.

Im in Fresno /Clovis area, not sure if your heading up anytime soon to hand swap stocks. I have no LA trips planned soon.

Last edited by brianm767; 10-22-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
excellent point!