Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 PM

Default scope mount for 1903a3?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in mounting a scope on my 1903a3, but I don't want to permanently alter the gun. Is there a good way to do this?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:40 PM

Here's one way

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Thank you for the link. That looks promising, however, it isn't at all clear from their page how these mounts attach... Does anyone else know of an option or have additional information on the ones sold from the above link?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM

With the S&K mount you have to remove the rear sight. The rear of the scope mount goes in the dovetail where the rear sight was installed. The front of the mount is attached by a ring band that goes around the receiver with a screw through the mount threaded into the ring band. This ring band does need the wood cleared around the band & where the band is screwed together at the bottom.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Check the Cabelas Shooting catalog. I saw one in there that claims no drilling is required. Not sure if it is the S & K mentioned in this post.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM

B-Square makes a no-mod scope mount that uses the cut-off pin as one of the mounting points. The model # for the Springfield 1903 is 18477 I have one and it has worked OK but I don't trust it for long range. It has never wobbled but the mounting system is kinda funky.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 AM

Default No Free Lunch

NONE of the 'no alterations needed' scope mounts that I've seen for 03's look to me like they'll give a consistent, repeatable, stable platform for scope use.
If you want to mount a scope, and get all the accuracy that's available from an 03, you're going to have to drill and tap it, and alter the bolt handle.
You can spend a BUNCH of money on those bases, and never be happy with 'em. For less money, find a rifle that's already been drilled and tapped and had the bolt body altered, and dummy-up a fake sniper rig. Leave your unaltered rifle alone, and work over the sights as best you can to remove the slop and play that comes with use, and maybe fool around with replacing them with customized apertures and front sight blades that mimic the old USMC match sights.
Not wanting to flame anyone. I'm sure that the mail will follow claiming that tired old eyes have discovered those wonder bases that breathed new life into their rifles, but these tired old eyes have better things to spend my limited funds on, and I absolutely detest equipment that doesn't deliver.