Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareds06 View Post

Also, as a shooter in my early 20s, maybe I see through a different lens, and what I see is that old guys dominate all shooting sports in numbers and I'm pretty sure it's because they simply have more disposable income and time to throw at shooting guns which can be relatively expensive for a young person.
I agree that more disposable income makes it much easier to compete in equipment intensive sports like shooting. However, old guys also perform well due to a lot more trigger time. I believe that we learn from our failures much more than from successes and the more you shoot, the more you experience failures. On many occasions, I thought long and hard about how to make sure I never was going to mess up in that particular manner again. In many ways the best shooter is the one who makes the least mistakes.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
I agree that more disposable income makes it much easier to compete in equipment intensive sports like shooting. However, old guys also perform well due to a lot more trigger time. I believe that we learn from our failures much more than from successes and the more you shoot, the more you experience failures. On many occasions, I thought long and hard about how to make sure I never was going to mess up in that particular manner again. In many ways the best shooter is the one who makes the least mistakes.
That comment regarding disposable income and time was in reference to the number of old guys out on the firing line, not in reference to their skill. 100% agree with that sentiment about mistakes. Good way to look at it: you start at 800 and everything that's not a 10 or an X is losing points.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC_Jim View Post
I wonder if it would have made a difference if a month before they were cancelled if the CMP had let everyone know that registration was low and if they didn't get a certain number of registrations by certain date that the games would be cancelled?
It would have made a difference to me. I had no idea there was a problem until I went to register and found out it was canceled.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitist View Post
It would have made a difference to me. I had no idea there was a problem until I went to register and found out it was canceled.
Yep, a heads-up that registrations were low and cancellation was a possibility would have been nice.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:24 AM

I'd like to know if the tee shirts are on sale at a discount.... and about the old guys having all the time and money--we are completely unapologetic. Good Shooting....