Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr29kh View Post
Guess the poor quality--not an expert on the carbine by any means but maybe I was expecting the service grade to be a bit better. One was a possibility but another guy snagged it before I could get a second look. Oh well.......

Garands to me are a bit more straight forward--4 vendors, etc. Carbines could be mix masters as issued so gets a bit more difficult to stay on top of for me since I haven't done all my homework
That's fair...thanks for the response!! In my experience...most carbines are mix master and I'm not into correcting something that probably doesn't need correcting. I normally look for curb appeal and as little wear as possible!! JMO
Old 05-25-2017, 05:47 PM

I'm with you on that one!! I am looking for the same characteristics. Maybe to the trained guy wouldn't be a big deal, but both needed stocks to live in my safe. One had what appeared to be an aftermarket birch; the other had 3 brass pins repairing a big split behind the rear sight. Maybe that's not a big fix--just not familiar with USGI stocks and costs to replace
Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr29kh View Post
I'm with you on that one!! I am looking for the same characteristics. Maybe to the trained guy wouldn't be a big deal, but both needed stocks to live in my safe. One had what appeared to be an aftermarket birch; the other had 3 brass pins repairing a big split behind the rear sight. Maybe that's not a big fix--just not familiar with USGI stocks and costs to replace
Well maybe since there were only two left when you were there...the better ones had already been purchased. Some of the ones posted recently were pretty nice!!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Wish I lived closer... but I don't.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 PM

Just curious, what do the carbines go for in store . Might be up in Canton Michigan next month for work . Thinking of taking an extra day to visit the North Store.
Thanks
Carlos
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos.a.franco View Post
Just curious, what do the carbines go for in store?
$785+Tax....
Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 PM

I arrived about 12:30 and there were 9 National Postal Meter carbines left, all service grades. I was fortunate to stop by on a whim and it paid off with me getting my first carbine. I scored a nice 14916xx receiver, 3-43 underwood barrel with a measurement of 1 on the muzzle, 2 on the throat, a very good condition Inland high wood stock with crossed cannon's. I have to go over it to see what all the part's are but it is a very nice rifle and had a yellow auction tag hanging from it. My many thank's to the CMP, and also to Bob at the North Store for sharing his knowledge with me to help make my choice.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I took it as the NPM's were all they had and whatever was in the rack was it. FWIW
So if that's true the pickings might be pretty slim for carbines come Saturday.
Thanks !! We will be stopping in anyway before heading to Sandusky. Hopefully they get a few more to set out but I always enjoy visiting the store either way. This will be her first visit and ironically she's looking forward to it about as much as I am.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

FWIW - National Postal Meter didn't make their own barrels. They were supplied by Underwood and others via the government's free-issue barrel program.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Ok, it's going on 36 hours now. If I don't see a few newly aquired carbine and Service Grade photos soon, my head is going to explode.

Stop being so irresponsible and post some pictures! You know who you are!
Tony