Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Default Adjusting focus on M84

Tried to turn eyepiece but it doesn't seem to want to move. Figured I'd check and be sure before I went gorilla on it. This is the repro that Numrich was selling several years ago.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
Tried to turn eyepiece but it doesn't seem to want to move. Figured I'd check and be sure before I went gorilla on it. This is the repro that Numrich was selling several years ago.
Not that I'm aware of...fixed power. Only windage and elevation adjustment. Sounds like you might have one that's been opened up...maybe check the front objective lens see if it's been or attempted to been removed.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 AM

The eyepiece is focused by moving the erector assembly towards or away from the reticle. The paralax is adjusted by moving the objective assembly closer or further from the reticle on the other end of the scope. This is for USGI scopes.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Tried again, finally got it to move. Looks like they used plumbers putty as a sealant, Cleaned the dried sealant off and a dab of RIG to ease movement. Only problem is now it turns too easy, have to clean the threads and figure what to use as a sealant that will allow adjustment but hold once adjusted.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
Tried again, finally got it to move. Looks like they used plumbers putty as a sealant, Cleaned the dried sealant off and a dab of RIG to ease movement. Only problem is now it turns too easy, have to clean the threads and figure what to use as a sealant that will allow adjustment but hold once adjusted.
Way to go
Old 09-20-2019, 10:51 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinson View Post
The eyepiece is focused by moving the erector assembly towards or away from the reticle. The paralax is adjusted by moving the objective assembly closer or further from the reticle on the other end of the scope. This is for USGI scopes.
Would you be so kind as to provide a more detailed explanation of how to make those adjustments that you mentioned? I just acquired a USGI M84 and am trying to figure it out like the OP.

Where is the "erector assembly" and how does one adjust it? Similarly, where is the "objective assembly" and specifically how is it adjusted? Neither end (assembly?) of my scope appears to move with a firm hand grip and twist. I don't want to force any twisting such that I damage the scope due to my ignorance or a prior owner having used a product that nearly glued the components/assemblies together. I'd like to learn about this scope more before messing around any further with it.

Does a operations/service manual exist for these scopes? If so, are copies available? I'd sure like to have one. This novice M1D owner is not only new to M1Ds but scoped rifles in general.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:13 PM

On USGI scopes, these adjustments are all internal with special tube wrenches.